SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roseseek

Interesting observation...what do you think?

roseseek
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I noticed something very interesting yesterday morning on my morning "photo run". Two plants, one a found rose and one an identified older rose, resembled each other very strongly. I posted these photos to Face Book where several well-versed old rose afficionados are more active and the reactions were positive. Please take a look at these photos and see what you think. The same rose appears in the same position in each photo, so all the plant parts on the left of the images belong to the same variety, and vice versa. I will post the two identities at the end.

Do they resemble each other sufficiently for you to feel they may well be the same variety? The one on the left (and the first prickle photo) is "Huntington La Biche", the rose now identified as Mlle de Sombreuil. The one on the right is the found rose, George Washington Richardson. In the discussion, mention was made that MdS is often a less than vigorous plant while GWR is extremely vigorous and appears to want to either be a huge bush or a climber. Even in Europe, MdS was found to be weak, even for a Tea. GWR is vigorous in all the gardens in which it is grown. Dr. Manners stated on the Face Book thread, "For the record, in December 2015, we tested George Washington Richardson for Prunus Necrotic Ringspot Virus and Apple Mosaic Virus (the two viruses causing "Rose Mosaic" in the USA), and it was free of both. Done by ELISA at Washington State University, Prosser." MdS has not yet been tested. This means we now know both GWR and Atmore Lamarque are free from PNRSV and RMV and can be stated to be "virus indexed". So if you want only "virus free" old roses, these two should be added to your lists. The freedom from infection may, or may not, have something to do with the observed difference in vigor between the two roses. Or, GWR may be a partial sport toward climbing habit, or not. Or, MdS may be a degenerative sport..or not. You have to admit, they certainly resemble each other, don't they?

George Washington Richardson now.

Comments (26)