SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardener123

Sundresses

gardener123
8 years ago

As long as we are shopping, how about your favorite sundresses?

I had never considered Columbia (from the cover-up thread). Great suggestion!

The perfect sundress needs to be machine washable and one you can wear a bra with.

You wouldn't think that's asking too much, but they are so hard to find!

Comments (52)

• User
    8 years ago

The above link for Uniqlo worked for me. I ordered the long version of the built-in bra dress. I know I'll have to hem, but I liked the bra feature for steamy days when I don't want layers and I liked the Liberty print. I've never shopped that merchant before, but the price was so good it was worth trying them out.

Thanks sealavender!

gardener123 thanked User
  • sealavender
    8 years ago

Amck2, Uniqlo is kind of like a Japanese H&M, if that helps.

gardener123 thanked sealavender
  • Related Discussions

picture of Baby pajamas quilt again

Q

Comments (4)
    This looks great! Regarding the quilting, are you comfortable free motion quilting, or do you prefer to use your walking foot? Do you like dense quilting or do you prefer less quilting? When I look at your quilt I see so many design possibilities, particularly with all of the white. I would probably do something different in each white ring - patterns like swirls, or paisley, or wavy lines or...so many choices! Then maybe I'd do something a little simpler in the PJ squares, like orange peel. Here is a link that might be useful: Orange peel quilting link
    ...See More

Yellow Kitchen- Help with Color, Please!

Q

Comments (141)
    I just saw this last night and contacted 2 color consultants in NJ. I think one or two meetings would be fabulous to pick the cab color and then paints, fabrics, etc... Maybe even which cabs to paint yellow and how it will all go with the dining area. I did get 6 or 7 yellow cabinet swatches from a couple of kitchen places I stopped into. I found most have a green hue to them but one I did like looked like a nice buttercream color. Shockingly, when holding it next to my paint boards & chips it was actually deeper/dirtier/browner than I would have expected. I'm thinking that to make a yellow less juvenile/bright it has to be dirtied up somehow. I held that cabinet swatch up next to BM BARLEY and it was actually similar. SO, now I repainted Cornsilk & Barley on a loose cabinet door and I'll see how that goes. I think I'm liking Barley! I ruled that one out at least 3 times prior b/c it looked too brown but maybe that's b/c it was painted among my super bright yellows. Now I can look at it on it's own. I know there are many who love Vellum (even browner) and still say it looks yellow! That one is too much for me I think but Barley and maybe Golden Lab might be good and it goes well with the gold in the danby marble. I just want it to still read yellow so I'll keep checking it out. I think I've ruled out Sundress & Squish Squash for being too bright. Then I have Cornsilk, Barley, Good Vibrations and SW Banana Cream. Depending on how I view Cornsilk/Barley today in my (town down) kitchen I may look at Mushroom Cap and Golden Lab. ( I think Mushroom and Cornsilk are a little light though). BTW, I meant no offense to those of you with Hawthorne. It's not a bad color at all- just not what I am picturing for my kitchen : )
    ...See More

My cruise: The good,the bad, the ugly.....

Q

Comments (55)
    Oh yes, the towel animals were one of the best parts of our cruise too! Our cabin steward, Alf, left one every night after turning down our bed and tidying up. I put them on our window sill where I had a zoo going and Alf would leave them there until there were too many to fit and then he'd take them away. I was very disappointed that Alf didn't leave a towel animal on the last night of our cruise. About an hour later, hubby pointed at one of the upper cabinets and said, "Look!" I couldn't believe that it took so long for one of us to notice it!
    ...See More

Fashion over 65.

Q

Comments (26)
    I no longer read Rhoda's blog (Southern Hospitality), but if you look it up, she used to have a periodic post for fashions over (a certain age). I'm another "youngster" (THANK YOU for saying that!!) as I'm actually under 60. But, of course I notice what people wear, younger and older. I think both outfits would be fine. I haven't really been in a mood to shop for clothing. Truth be told, I have a few items I bought last year (end of season) that still have tags on them. LOL I do not often wear dresses, or sneakers (although those are cute Sue). From the minute I can put on flip flops and sandals, I do. My tootsies hate to be covered up LOL. I don't work, but outside this safer-at-home/stay-at-home, I am pretty social. I dress casual at home of course (no uniforms) but am out and about a good bit. A favorite for me in warm weather is cropped pants or the slim ankle pants. I love rayon, cotton and linen. I love bright colors and wear lots of pink and turquoise shades. We are in the South, where summers get hot and humid, but we love outside activities, so of course, shorts are part of my wardrobe. Not so fond of my legs anymore, so I wear the longer shorts. I'm short-ish and while I can carry off cropped/ankle pants (with the right tops and shoes), capris look absolutely ridiculous on me. They really chop me and to be honest, I do usually think of them as a bit matronly. I think you just have to find what styles look best on you, the colors that look best on you, etc. Make sure the clothes FIT and one thing that makes every woman look BETTER is a well fitting bra! I think one thing that makes some women look older/matronly in their clothing is their ill fitting bras and droopy bust!
    ...See More
  • Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Ugh, the first pic of it is awful. It looks long and yucky but looks adorable and shorter on the model in the bottom middle pic.

gardener123 thanked Holly- Kay
  • Sueb20
    8 years ago

Casual or dressy? I live in casual sundresses in the summer because shorts are not a good look for me. I have had good luck with Toad & Co. (formerly known as Horny Toad -- the Rosemary dress, which has sleeves, is so versatile -- I have 3 of them, I think), Fresh Produce sometimes, Eddie Bauer, Anthro, and a couple of years ago I had great luck at Lands End, but not so much last year. Athleta and Title Nine have some great dresses if you have a perfect figure! I do not.

Sometimes also Boden, Talbots, or Loft.

gardener123 thanked Sueb20
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

I won't make a recommendation for on line as this is one place I have to touch the fabric. Fiber content means nothing anymore. I took a mall walk yesterday and as I'm going through the stores, I'm just touching some of the garments to get an idea of what the fabric is like. So much of it is stiff, scratchy, plastic-y, awful. Some, while not neoprene, is made to look and feel like it. I can't imagine anything hotter or more uncomfortable than that in the summer. I don't know what mnfctrs are thinking!

I haven't sewn a dress for myself in years, mainly because clothing has gotten so inexpensive, patterns and fabric have gotten more expensive so it doesn't pay. But I'm going to have to revisit that choice as I can't seem to find what I want in stores. Only problem is, fabric stores have gotten scarce and I'm not sure I can even find the lovely fabrics I used to enjoy anymore. I so remember the days of running to the knitting mills where I could get really high quality knits in every color under the sun for a song. Or a few towns over was a fabric outlet from a dye company...the back wall was a literal rainbow of colors in great fabrics. I could whip up a turtleneck or t-shirt or 4-gore skirt in under an hour....sigh. I can remember my GF being stunned that in the a.m. before my "surprise" bridal shower, I had nothing to wear, so I grabbed a remnant, hit the machine and had a wonderful new dress to wear to the event.

Sorry, I just needed to vent...

gardener123 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • gardener123
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If you are wondering what took me so long to get back here, it's because all my free time has been taken up online shopping! Thanks for the great suggestions. I never looked at Fresh Produce before, and hadn't heard of a few others, like Uniqlo and Toad & Co.

So I guess I'll be doing a round of returns next week, not likely that they all will work.

Holly, agreed. I thought the same thing when I looked at the link. The dress looks so sophisticated in the styled pic.

Why do people take the time to write a review that includes their height, weight, build, bra size, and how the garment fit, but never say what size they ordered? It's so unhelpful. Or they say "love the color, it's perfect" but never state the color option they selected.

And why are so many sizes already gone? It's still snowing up north!

Annie and amck, you little lucky ducks. I have a simple, very casual chambray sheath with daisies embroidered on it that I have worn for the last 20 years. And every summer I try try try to find something as effortless, comfortable, and washable. It's fraying and may have to be retired this season. Every summer I also think about bringing it to a dress maker and having new sundresses made exactly to this pattern. If I do find fabric, can it be reverse engineered? Would you recommend doing that?

Here comes the sun (hopefully)!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Not sure how much it would cost to have someone do it for you, but I have reverse engineered pants and skirts and things, so yes it could be done. But it would probably be faster if you found a similar pattern and fabric and brought it to a dressmaker. Reverse engineering takes a lot more time.

gardener123 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • cupofkindnessgw
    8 years ago

I think that 50s look is still in with sheath dresses and fitted skirts. Look at Macy's and Nordstrom, Nordstrom especially has a huge selection of lovely dresses.

gardener123 thanked cupofkindnessgw
  • User
    8 years ago

I ordered a sleeveless blue swing dress and a darker blue silk cardigan from Nordstrom, both Eileen Fisher, for son's graduation in Virginia in early May. The sweater arrived today and they forgot to take off the security thingie, so now I have to drive up to Atlanta and get that removed in the store. I was pretty annoyed when customer service told me I had to do that or risk not getting the sweater back in time for our trip. (Why do they think we shop online??) Also ordered a blue print maxi dress to wear with the sweater, this one is from J. Jill. I hope it fits and the blues work well together----this will be the first piece of clothing I have purchased in years that isn't a solid color!

Now I need cute shoes for those blue dresses. I don't wear heels---never have worn anything higher than a half inch kitten heel in my life----and don't like wedges.....any suggestions?

• hhireno
    8 years ago

As a fundraiser, my women's club sold coupon books at a dept. store. I can't tell you exactly how many people approached the doors to leave and set off the alarm, but it was probably ever third customer. It was ridiculous. If people had many packages, we would help by holding a bag so they figure out which bag was setting off the alarm. Then they had to return to a cashier line to have the tag removed. So, while that is much more convenient than driving to Atlanta to have the tags removed, leaving the security tag on happens at the store also. Whenever I'm in that store now, I make sure all tags are removed before I leave the cashier.

Sorry no shoe ideas.

• User
    8 years ago

D'Orsay flats are in and available in dressy as well as more casual materials.

Saw cute ones at J. Crew.

• User
    8 years ago

Checking now, thanks!

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Kswl, I hope you love the EF items you ordered.

I've decided not to order the Joan Vass dresses because it looks so utterly dumpy and unattractive online. The model that they picture wearing it in the catalog must be very tall because the dress on her is a much more flattering mid length. The search for a few nice summer dresses continues!

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

KSWL I have been eying that same jjill dress (i think it is the same). I have all but stopped shopping at jjill as their styles have changed and worse, the fabrics have changed but I do love all the dresses I have purchased and this one is just a variation on a style I have bought prior years. My only hesitation is the high neckline (again, if we are referring to the same style).

For my longer sundresses, I love wearing this yoga style sandal. I bought them on a whim as it's not a brand I normally buy but they have lasted a few seasons already -- much more than I expected for the price. They are so comfortable and I think a great style for a casual look. I don't know that I'd wear it to a graduation ceremony but I do wear them out to casual dinners.

Dirty Laundry Beebop yoga/gladiator/scarf sandal.

• User
    8 years ago

Funky, this is the dress, also ordered it in deep blue (whatever that is, lol)

I am hoping the fabric is nice and drapes well and is substantial and not see thru. Like you I have all but given up on J Jill except for their long sleeved, button front linen shirts, which come in beautiful colors that are different every season. They iron beautifully and are comfortable and cool and a great foil for jewelry :-)

Those sandals are darling but I cannot wear anything with a thong between any toes. I have the foot version of Princess and the Pea, lol. I can't even stand to try them on! That lets out most of the world's cutest sandals and I wear slides instead. I'm looking at the d'orsay flats in the picture of the solid dress.

adding re the high neckline--- it is perfect for me, if someone could make a comfortable summer turtleneck dress I would wear it. I used to wear sleeveless turtlenecks all the time but that look is a little too retro now for someone my age----although a younger lady could pull it off!

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

This is the same dress I am probably going to order today. IF it is the same as the others years past (which had a different neckline but same basic dress) then I will say that it should hang nicely and definitely not be see through. My only negative comment about them is that I wear the heck out of them and while they wash very well, they lose a little of their body after many washings. I havent stopped wearing them and they havent faded but they are kind of like tshirts-- they get softer but less structured after many washings.

I wear them with denim jackets or a slightly dressier cardigan-- I find them very adaptable. I'll throw one on with little white ked sneakers to run errands or change shoes, add jewelry and a cardigan to go out to dinner.

I am so glad you mentioned the jjill big shirts. I know jjill fans have raved about them for years but I never ordered one. I am not as much a fan of their linen dresses because they end up looking like potato sacks after you sit in them. I saw a photo of myself after an evening sitting in an outdoor cafe for a few hours and I just cringed.. and never put one on again! I love the look and color of the big shirts. I think I will give one a try.. TY

Sorry about the toe thong-- that surely is limiting. I think the d'orsay is perfect. I also think the right gladiator sandals would look cute.

Hope they work out for you! I am cautious given how many of their cuts and fabrics have changed but hopefully they've left the good things alone!

I also remember seeing a few cute dresses at RL.. but I like the length of these. I also saw a few cute styles at Talbots but their dresses are hit or miss for me. They aren't always proportioned well for me.. but I did have good luck last season.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

see below!

• User
    8 years ago

Funky after sitting down In them the shirttails of those linen shirts have more wrinkles than a Sharpei-----nature of the beast. Not ironing linen and going with the rumpled and softer look yields fewer wrinkles. I tried that and still like the ironed top/ Kleenex bottom look better, lol. When put in the dryer those shirts do shrink, btw.

• User
    8 years ago

Three blue dresses if they all come on time and fit! Ordering these shoes to go with

• busybee3
    8 years ago

like the striped shoes! edited out my ??

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

I was going to suggest those, Kswl.. but i have not done well with the JJill label shoes. They run very small. :( Hope they work for you! I have seen a number of blue/white shoes this season.. florals, stripes, spectator style. I don't think you'll have a hard time finding something if these don't work!

• User
    8 years ago

i already have both of these Tieks below.... Either would go with the EF dress and I think the striped ones would go with the dark blue dress, they are less turquoise and more of a French blue iykwim.

Also looking at these from Delman in a nude leather

• User
    8 years ago

Sorry for the shoe hijack!

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

I expect wrinkles with linen-- but the way the dresses wrinkled and stretched (and combined with my body type), I really felt like a hot mess. I used to wear a JJill linen wide legged ankle pant with a cotton tshirty type waistband. LOVED THEM -- i found they worked best when I pulled them out of the dryer when they were just dry and didn't iron. Oh my gosh, I would have lived in them every day! Unfortunately, they don't sell them anymore and I don't really care for their "easy linen" style pull on pants. The cut is wrong and I feel like my grandma with the pull on style.

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

Oh Kswl, I love those delman shoes and they look so comfortable! I never got on the tieks train (EVERYONE seems to love them but me) but those are cute too!

• User
    8 years ago

In case anyone else is considering a Uniqlo sundress with the built-in bra, I received mine & can offer a review.

I got the longer one, which is a tank style, in the dark blue/cream print. Love the print! But be aware it is not white & navy - definitely tannish. I ordered size Medium. It is a close fitting dress with no seams or pleats for ease at the waist/hips, but it's not tight. I usually wear 8 Petite. The Small would have been too small, I think.

The bra insert is akin to a bathing suit bra with soft molded cups, as opposed to a stretchy sports bra. There are no clasps to adjust. It works for me.

I was surprised that the fabric is a knit. I knew it was poly, but I didn't expect it was going to be so stretchy. It's not see-through, but it doesn't have much heft.

My thoughts are that it's okay for the price $39 & shipping. It will be something to throw on late afternoons when I change out of my swimsuit at the lake. Suitable for entertaining, hanging out at home or running quick errands, but I wouldn't buy it to wear for an occasion or if I was planning a day out with DH or friends.

Hope this may help someone deciding.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

KSWL and Funky, I looked on Jjill yesterday morning and I have that cute blue print dress on my list. A request for my email with an amount off if I gave it popped up but I was so anxious to look through that I clicked it closed. I went back on two different devices and it never gave me the offer again. I suppose I'll just order without the percent off. I fell in love with the linen shirts. Linen is my fav for summer and yes it sure does wrinkle but I always iron it too.

• User
    8 years ago

Holly-Kay, try promo code DGAPR16 for 30% discount or WW0316 for $50 off of $150 (check out retailmenot.com and type in Jjill). The coupons don't always work but when they do, it's a nice savings.

KSWL, I ordered the SunsetStripe Tieks today. They only had one size left and it was my size. :-)

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Marlene, thank you so much! I'm on my way over to the JJ site! Btw, did you get a chance to try the Ziwi Peak yet? If not be prepared for a gusto fest. My boys act like they've been starved for weeks each time I open a can of that cat crack!!!

• User
    8 years ago

HK, I have a pet store 7 minutes from me that carries only healthy pet food and I bought a number of cans of Ziwi Peak a few weeks ago. I have been hesitating giving them any as I just took away their favorite treats (Halo Freezed Dried Chicken) and I didn't want to make any more changes at the time. I will try the ZP next week.

btw...the linen shirts are on sale for at least today. Hurry! :-)

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Marlene your code saved me almost 115 thank you so much! The pretty print dress was sold out in med, all they had left was lg or extra large in the petite length but I bought a few other dresses, a pair of leggings, two linen shirts, and a silk shirt. I hope they all work out for me.

ETA: Marlene the linen shirts were on sale. I bought it in blue and pea green, and ordered the silk shirt in an orchid color. I hope they are as nice IRL as they show on the computer.

• User
    8 years ago

My printed JJill sundress arrived today, that makes two out of three! Just wanted to let anyone interested know that the fabric is much nicer than I expected, the French seams are perfect and the drape is just lovely. I think it was a little over $100 and a bargain at that price.

and It coordinates beautifully with the new Eileen Fisher sweater!

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

wonderful.. so glad to hear it! I didnt order the dress.. i kept thinking that I have some similar but I love the pattern and you just can't have too many easy, throw-on dresses! So I think I will go ahead and order one too!

I did order a handful of linen shirts-- a couple of the "big shirt" and a tunic. I also ordered a pair of the linen pants. It's the style I don't care for but i loved the navy/white yarn dyed color. Unfortunately, they sold out of the sweater topper I bought to cover what I don't like about the style grrr.

• User
    8 years ago

I have to admit that I have not been a J.Jill fan except for white jeans and camisoles. After reading some comments here, I went into my local J.Jill. The items fit better than in the past and the quality was good. I bought a white and black textured linen blouse (Holly-Kay if you see this you would love this blouse), a v-neck pullover sweater thingy in light grey, a pink and white fitted linen blouse and a black, long light weight sweater....with my 30% coupon, all was less than an Eileen Fisher jacket I also bought and honestly, they look as good.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Thanks Marlene! I just got a shipping confirmation from JJill that my items shipped. There is a JJill close to my DD.s house so I am going to try to get over there this weekend and see if they have the pretty print dress that was sold out. What is the product number on the b/w linen shirt? I will look for it. I was thrilled with the prices. I actually didn't need anything but I just loved the linen shirts and I did want at least one sundress.

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

I hope you like your haul, Holly. I just got mine today and I am not going to keep the linen shirts. They just aren't proportioned well for me .. also, in order for me to wear them to the office, I need them to be more tailored. The two pocket version might have worked better. I do like the tunic version so I may keep that.

Since I am returning so much, I think it's time to order the dress!

• User
    8 years ago

HK, it's the Yarn-Dyed Linen Button-Front Tunic #H9010A.

I am a very tailored kind of dresser and this is very casual but looks nice with a black camisole and white pants,

• User
    8 years ago

Just thought I would share that I went to Target today, and they had some really good maxi dresses. I was in a rush, but I will go back. They had some very nice I think Merona is the brand and they were like $29 . Nice fabric, not too thin but they seemed to be a bit long. ( I am average height and don't usually have dresses end up too long ). Just thought I would share. They were really nice. They also had nice springy summer casual wear. In the past I used to perk up the wardrobe pretty happily there with odds and end pieces but not for quite a while. Today I was excited to see I think I can get a few pick me ups there and I do find their stuff is decent quality ( no it's not like the $100 dress, but I some things from them which I have worn a LOT over several years and it's fine).Yay. Tarjay is back!

Editing to add that I looked at the website and most of the dresses I saw are not on the website. so it's worth a jaunt to the store.

• User
    8 years ago

So, Delman slippers already sent back, the toe box was too square and came down too far on the toes. I just ordered these from Ann Taylor, half off with online coupon, keep your fingers crossed!

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

I received my JJill order and I'm not keeping any of it. Both sundresses had such a nice fabric but the fit was strange on me. I am chesty and carry my weight on the top. The medium fit well in the bust but the bottom just looked too big. I ordered the two linen shirts and the silk shirt in regular rather than petite. A total fail. They must increase not just sleeve and hem length but also the body because all three looked humungo on me. The capri leggings were awful. They fit well in the legs but the crotch was a baggy wrinkled mess. The quality was very good on everything except the leggings but I expected them to not be great. Everything is going back but I will get to a physical location where I can actually try the items on because I thought the quality was good considering the prices.

ETA:

Marlene, I really like the linen tunic. I will definitely try it on when I get to a physical store. I always love the way a linen piece adds a classy look to an outfit.

• User
    8 years ago

H-K, their fit is often weird and the shirts have to be ordered at least a size down! I learned that through trial and error. I wear the shirts to work daily with EF slacks and I probably have twenty linen shirts in all different colors, and can tell you that the fit changes from year to year. They probably give the order to a new factory every year :-(

• hhireno
    8 years ago

Kswl, speaking of EF slacks...I only saw elastic waist, pull on, linen pants or athlesiure wear style pants at Belk's. Is that what you wear?

• busybee3
    8 years ago

i also have found jjill sizing to be all over the place- it used to seem that everything was very large and needed to be ordered a size down- more recently, it has seemed that their sizes were more 'typical'... their fit is odd tho oftentimes- waists tend to be large and armholes tend to be large- i prefer trying on at a jjill store too!

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Thanks kswl and busy. i really love linen and wanted them to work for me. i guess instead of shipping it all back I should take it to the store and do an exchange instead of a return and paying the non sales price.

• User
    8 years ago

Hireno, most are side zip slacks. I also have a couple of crepe (black and gray) narrow leg ankle slacks that are flat front waistband pull ons that I wear with longer shirts. (All EF, and they're all around $170.)

• hhireno
    8 years ago

Kswl, thanks for the info. I guess the Belk's doesn't carry what you're describing or doesn't have any in stock for this season. I'll check elsewhere.

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

I like both the EF pull ons (with tight ankles and slim legs) and the side zip. I won't wear the pull ons this time of year though.

JJIll sizing has been all over the place since they were bought out by Talbots-- and even worse now that they are split from Talbots. I am really ready to give them up. I did get a few things this season but more than 3/4 is going back. The odds don't make it worth my time. It used to be that everything was a winner for me 5-15 yr ago. What a let down.

• User
    8 years ago

Try Nordstrom's or EF online. There is never a discount code or anything for EF (it is always specifically excluded) so you can buy from the EF site as well for the same $$.