SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

WV Friends - Question about blasting for new home

Buehl
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Yes, I know this is the Kitchens Forum, but I know all of you better than on the Building A Home Forum, so I thought I'd ask this question both here and on Building A Home.

We're looking at property in the Shepherdstown, WV, area as a potential retirement location and found a piece of property that we really like - location is not far from the Potomac River and in a nice neighborhood with a golf course.

However, the property has two drawbacks:

(1) The lot is long and narrow and approx 2/3 of an acre

and, more importantly...

(2) It's mostly rock. We would have to blast to have a basement and a finished basement is a "must have" for us. It will house the utilities (HVAC, hot water, etc.) and storage as well as a Media Room for my DH and 2 bedrooms w/a bath for visiting family & friends.

We thought about placing the basement items on the second floor, but then the utilities would have to be on the first floor and we really don't want them to take up precious square footage.

So, my question is this...does anyone know of a reputable builder/blaster who could give us an estimate of what it would cost to blast? We would pay for his/her time to do this for us.

We don't know what else is involved - so any advice on that would also be welcome.

Comments (29)