SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

Please help with school decision..

Lyban zone 4
8 years ago

I have a 5 year old grand daughter who was born 8 hours before the schools cut off date for entering kindergarten. meaning that if she had been born 8 hours later she would be going into kg this sept. Rather than last. But both my daughter and Sil knew she was not ready last sept. So they put her in a pre k which has nothing to do with the school and intended to put her in kg this year coming.

she is a very hyper little girl, my daughter has had her tested with a phycologist and they say she is too young to be able to test for most things but they definitely see some problems, mostly sensory processing .

she is happy, bright, very friendly. Talks to everyone and loves to hug everyone.

here is our problem. It is now registration time and the school will not accept her for kg but want to put her directly in first grade. My daughter has been fighting this but is not getting very far. She had a report written for the school by both phycologist and occupational therapist and I am not sure they even read them. They had there own phycologist go to her pre k and watch her for an hour and she determined that she was ready for first grade.

of course the day the visit took place , her teacher told us everything went perfect and there were no melt downs or problems.

the school reasoning is (this is Canada) that the law says no child can stay in school after a certain age and therefore they say if they ever had to hold her back a year there would then be a big problem and she would not be able to finish school. I know, I know just reading this I am thinking how silly can a system be.

here is my question to you guys, would any of you think of skipping kg and going directly into first grade .

Comments (21)