SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjcampo

Apartment over Garage vs Slab building?

8 years ago

I'd like to build a roughly 28x26 1 bedroom apartment for family on my lot. Local code allows for this so that is not an issue. My main concern is cost and funtionality.

I'm going back and forth between an apartment over a garage and a frost protected slab. I don't need a 2 car garage, but I do need about 200 sq ft of dry storage (tractor, snowblower, garbage cans, garden tools etc.)

-If I don't do the garage, my plan is a single building with the street facing part of the to be storage with a barn like facade with sliding barn doors, and the rear portion of the building would be the apartment. Basically a big rectangle with a high roof pitch.

-Is "slab" still cheaper if I have to do a frost protected shallow foundation?

-Slab: We'll save on NOT building stairs, and finished floor costs (polished concrete instead of hard wood). Siding Labor should be much easier without need for high lift or scaffolding.

-We'd lose square footage to stairs on the garage apartment , unless I did external stairs.

-The garage is a nice (if it's not costing me anymore) and having the apartment raised up keeps it away from ground water.

-Because I don't want a full 2 story building, I'd end up with lower sloped ceilings on the garage apartment (like on a high posted cape).

-No stairs for the slab is probably nice for aging parents

Any insight or ideas?

Comments (11)