SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shenue

Thanksgiving Cactus question.

shenue
8 years ago

This may seem a strange question, but does anyone know how many years a Thanksgiving cactus lives. I have one that I started from one segment 42 years ago. Recently a couple of the old, original, 'trunks' have started dying. They have simply dried out just a few inches from the base and broken off. I had noticed the segments that were still green (before they were ready to transform to a more round, brown branch/trunk-like growth) had started to wilt on those branches.....obviously because their supportive branch/trunk was dying. But, at the time, I couldn't figure out why those particular segments were wilting because the branches looked normal. But when they broke and I could see the inside of the branches were all dry where they had broken off, well obviously I then knew what was happening. It has happened to a couple branches now. I am wondering if the age of the plant has anything to do with it. Nothing has changed with the care or location of the plant and I see absolutely no kinds of pests. Do they simply reach an age where the very old trunks/branches start dying? I hope someone can help me with this.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus