SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
d_byrne

To drip or not to drip...? Las Pilitas Nursery has me wondering...

D Byrne
8 years ago

Has anyone read the opinion from Las Pilitas that drip irrigation kills native and drought tolerant plants? We're about to plan out our lawn conversion to natives and I'm at the point where I'm about to setup our drip, but reading this website is giving me pause.

Here's a bit of what they say:

We used to tell people that it was OK to use drip irrigation until the plants were established; but, by the early 1980's we realized this to be a very bad idea for all but riparian plants. Drip irrigation encourages unhealthy root systems and bad soil ecology for your natives. Just water your plants with a garden hose(never set the hose down) or overhead until the plants are established. Or plant in the fall/winter and water only once and let the rains do the rest for you.

Drip irrigation should only be applied to certain types of crops/plants. Plants that live in creeks, seasonally are flooded, or tolerate zero drainage also tolerate and even flourish with drip irrigation. California Native plants that don't live under naturally soggy conditions die rapidly. Most native plants live from 3-5 years with drip irrigation. They grow fast and furious with lots of diseases. Then they just up and die. If your garden or landscape is coastal the landscape will live longer, but in the interior it probably won't survive past the third year.

http://www.laspilitas.com/drip.htm

Anyone have thoughts and experiences one way or the other? Thanks!

Comments (29)