SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnsfine

Make this fern grow better?

John Fine
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

A few years ago, I transplanted many clumps of a fern to a slope under a pine tree where I thought they would look nice. Only a few survived the first summer and since then they seem to be barely hanging on despite (or maybe due to) my attempts at care (weeding, and when very dry watering). Elsewhere on my property, the same fern thrives. In a different place where I had not noticed any ferns among the weeds, in the fall 2014 I dumped oak leaves over a foot deep trying to choke the weeds. The packed down leaves were still very thick in the spring, but a few weeks later ferns (this same type) had somehow punched through and were taller and healthier than elsewhere. So random luck or a thick leaf cover helps? Late fall 2015 I put about 3 inches (most the slope could hold without slipping) of packed wet oak leaves where the ferns I'm trying to encourage were. It is hard to believe plants could punch through what is left of that now. Do I just leave that and hope? What else might improve them? They thrive in other spots on my property in places ranging from slightly more to much less sun, from slightly less to much more water, and in some spots a similar slope under a pine. Why do they fail where I put them and succeed where they landed by accident? (Eastern Massachusetts).

Comments (3)