SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691928

Orchid People: Need help with my dendrobium and epidendrum

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

This orchid has never been happy. It was given to me by a friend because she said it was dying. I hung it under a Hong Kong orchid tree, and it bloomed one stalk of blooms, but it has never had many leaves at all. All winter long, I think it is going to die, then it suddenly comes back out with a few pitiful leaves, but it hasn't bloomed since I left SW Florida. I repotted it last year in pine bark, because I was told it would be happy like that, but it isn't. I have this perfect window to put it in in the winter, and can create shade in the summer to leave it outside.

Has anyone ever successfully gotten one of these to bloom outside of a greenhouse in z9a?

My epidendrum isn't happy either, almost died last year. I managed to save a couple of clumps, but it looks unhappy. Maybe it will perk up when I put it back outside. Had to repot that to try to save it too. Surprisingly, a few sprigs of the epi were growing happily in full sun in the pot with the papaya. When I planted it out, I moved them to the desert rose pot, where they seem to be fine, putting out little roots. How much sun can this one take? I seem to remember orange ones growing in full sun at Selby Gardens. I put them on the shaded side of the desert rose, but I do turn it from time to time. Last year, before it go too wet and almost died, it was healthy and blooming, so I'm praying I can start it over.

I know orchids do not like to be moved, and these have been moved a lot, which may be contributing to their unhappiness. Please help! I'd rather give them away to someone who can keep them alive than have them die.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm