I need a new countertop microwave.
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (20)
Related Discussions
Bosch Microwave-convection oven counter top
Comments (0)I have a 10 yr old microwave oven that will soon need replacement--ran across a Bosch combination unit that I could buy in barely used ( one month) condition for $300-400--retail price is about $700. Bosch HMB8050 Stainless Steel Built-In Series 1.5 Cubic Foot Capacity Wondered if anyone had experience or advice? I like the concept of having a longer lasting oven with the convection feature..but even at this price, it is expensive. Thanks in advance John...See MoreLooking for a counter top microwave. Recommendations anyone ?
Comments (5)My built in is Amana in this new-to-me house - I haven't had an Amana microwave since my very first, purchased in the '70s when I worked at a hardware and appliance store and they were well over $500 :), and that may have been after employee's discount. The last countertop I bought and left in the house I will sell was Kenmore from Sears, on sale about 5 years ago for approximately $70. It would hold a 9x12 pan, had a turn table, more functions than I needed and still working great....See MoreAny decent CounterTop microwaves in 2016?
Comments (10)I also heard that one of the Korean companies was making microwaves. Sharp and Panasonic for sure. All microwaves degrade from the jump. The magnetron (is that what it's called? Too early for me..) degrades with use. Search the forum, and you'll get good explanations from Kas about this. Investing a ton of money in a microwave, therefore, doesn't make a lot of sense. OTOH, that part will last a heck of a lot longer than a few years, if you get a kitchen grade microwave (as opposed to a desktop cutsiepoo unit for which I have no data at all). The thing that makes so many microwaves "disposable" is wear and tear. If you have family members who SLAM the door, PUNCH the buttons, etc., and constantly fiddle with it, starting and stopping and opening and closing, and just using it a lot for one mug of hot water, the box is going to wear out long before the magnetron. If you're nice to it, and use it a couple of times per day rather than all day long, it could last 20 years or more. One of the things you can get with a more expensive unit, along with looks and snooty badge, is potentially a sturdier housing. It is also potentially possible to have a built-in unit repaired (I can't imagine it being worthwhile to repair a freestanding unit). There are people who do microwave repairs and they do make replacement magnetrons. The only situation where that seems like a possible good idea, however, is when you have the beautiful built-in that matches your beautiful kitchen which still looks like new. Re convection: The initial convection microwaves didn't work well as ovens, and also didn't meet the expectations of the buyers. That was before convection ovens themselves were well understood in the US. In the time I've been researching appliances and hanging out here (coming up on ten years), the general tone from users of them has gone from not worth the money to acceptable second oven. Again, I don't know if that's a change in quality or in user expectations. Convection ovens cook with circulated hot air. They do a good job roasting. Great for "cooking" or "baking" a casserole. Even baking a loaf of bread. For small things, like cookies, a lot depends on the pan, the cookie and whether or not it really wanted bottom heat. For most, it'll do an acceptable job. Some outliers really do better with a proper baking mode. Egg rising things like angel cakes and soufflés really don't like being blown about. If you can arrange the angle of the pan to the blower just right, it's possible, but still iffy. The heated air can also bounce off the surfaces in unexpected ways leading to uneven cooking/browning, contravening the evenness that you otherwise get from the movement of the air. It's likely that there are still poor ones out there, especially at the lower end. There must also be good ones. Just familiarize yourself with the features and abilities of the unit, and use that to sift through the consumer reviews to know whether it was the oven or the user, and make your judgment from there....See MoreBest medium or compact microwave for counter top.
Comments (4)Thank you all for your input. @Anglophilia, I saw the Neochef 0.9cf by LG and it is so nice looking. It was a strong contender. Then I kept going back to the Panasonic options at either the 0.9 or 1.2 cf with inverter tech. Some out of stock. I wanted to buy from Best Buy as they are near me. @Scottie mom, the Whirlpool one you mention was interesting, but I really want a bit more style and function. I saw a working unit at the car dealership waiting room where I get my car serviced. In the end I went with the Breville Smooth Wave BM0850 and have been very happy. It fits the small space well enough. The room it is located in, is an office/additional kitchen storage room next to the kitchen. Outfitted in the 15" IKEA base cabinets and soapstone counters that I fabricated from salvaged scrape from a local stone shop. The area is located out of the way of traffic, yet very close to the cooking area in the kitchen near the stove. I should qualify my comment about "being out of the way of traffic" as in my small kitchen nothing is really out of the way of traffic, as I have 4 doors in the 7.5x12' kitchen. The 17" depth counter over the IKEA bases holds the unit, with an inch of the appliance overhang at the door. The front feet are well back from the edge of the counter and are probably at the 15.5" spot on the counter. I have the requested 4" clearance, easily around the sides. the top clearance request 8", I have only 6" with my 18" above the counter, uppers. The back vents are 4" from the wall, though the "bump out" area (typically on the back of microwaves) is close to the back wall. The unit cost $350 and then I got a 4year warranty with Best Buy for another $40 or 50. Not cheap, and more than I initially wanted to spend. The Breville size is just fine for our use, and significantly smaller than the very large old Kenmore Elite microwave we have, which is still working at 10 years old. With the old microwave we had to keep it on the enclosed porch with the refrigerator because my kitchen is too small to hold these appliances. When I redid the office 3 years ago I had planned to have our microwave on the counter, and finally got around to it several months ago. The unit was way too big for the space, but VERY convenient and the location was such an improvement compared with the porch. Now I think the Breville is just right! small kitchen next to the office/kitchen storage. The stove is on the right of the door and the microwave is just inside the door in next room, on the left: This is the porch where the microwave did sit, just to the right of the door. This porch is also my refrigerator, pantry, coat room, and access to the basement: Still need the backsplash, lol:...See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNDiscover the Pull of Microwave Drawers
More accessible, less noticeable and highly space efficient, microwave drawers are a welcome newcomer in kitchen appliances
Full Story
KITCHEN APPLIANCES9 Places to Put the Microwave in Your Kitchen
See the pros and cons of locating your microwave above, below and beyond the counter
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGThe Quick and Easy Way to Clean a Microwave
All you need is water and a couple of other natural ingredients to get your appliance sparkling and smelling fresh again
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNGet Cookin' With the Right Microwave
Energy zapped from trying to pick a microwave model and location? This guide will fire up your decision making
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN5 Favorite Granites for Gorgeous Kitchen Countertops
See granite types from white to black in action, and learn which cabinet finishes and fixture materials pair best with each
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHouzz Quiz: What Kitchen Countertop Is Right For You?
The options for kitchen countertops can seem endless. Take our quiz to help you narrow down your selection
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNThrowback Kitchen Gains Countertop Space, Color and Smart Storage
Pullout pantries, sustainable hardwood cabinets and all-new appliances turned this kitchen into a showpiece for a Portland couple
Full Story
KITCHEN COUNTERTOPS10 Countertop Mashups for the Kitchen
Contrast or complement textures, tones and more by using a mix of materials for countertops and island tops
Full Story
KITCHEN COUNTERTOPSKitchen Countertop Materials: 5 More Great Alternatives to Granite
Get a delightfully different look for your kitchen counters with lesser-known materials for a wide range of budgets
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNDesign an Easy-Clean Kitchen
"You cook and I'll clean" might no longer be a fair trade with these ideas for low-maintenance kitchen countertops, cabinets and floors
Full Story
User