SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forshoppingonline

Struggling to find ideal length for prep area in my galley

Pink Poppy
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm REALLY struggling with choosing the length of the prep area in my galley kitchen. I've done cardboard mock ups, made note of my cooking habits, closed my eyes and visualized... I STILL can't decide! I got some great feedback on my last thread. I'm hoping to gather more feedback and finally nail down a decision with this new thread.

I value function over form: I would much rather have a kitchen that functions beautifully and doesn't look as perfect as I dreamed. BUT I'm willing to compromise somewhat on function because I don't want a beautifully functioning kitchen that looks absolutely horrid!

Here's the overhead view (placement and dimensions of cabinets and appliances not up to date but room dimensions are accurate):

I've boiled my options down to four. The drawing for Option 1 has some added notes that apply to all four. Here's some other info that might help:

• Depth of wall cabs: 15"
  • Depth of counters: 27"
  • Ideal length of prep space for me: 48"
  • Cooking style: spread-out-all-over-the-place and messy :)

Option 1 - Form over function:

Option 2 - The perfect compromise?

Option 3 - Function over form:

Option 4 - Questionable function over form:

I'm hovering mostly between Options 2 and 3. Both of them are compromises - I'm not totally getting the function or form I prefer; but I'm not totally losing out on one for the sake of the other.

I've been agonizing over this for three weeks! Which do I choose??

Comments (25)