SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summerlx

Overwhelmed and need help with planting mandarins and kumquat

summerlx
8 years ago

I am very new on planting fruit/citrus trees. I have bought a Meyer lemon a week ago and planted close to the south facing fence with my house 5' south to it, and I will espalier it. I didn't add anything to the original dirt. Now I have just purchased 1.5' to 2' tall 5 gallons kishu from local nursery in Bay Area (redwood city, ca) and ordered a meiwa kumquat (1 year old), 1 year old kishu and 2 years old pixie from four wind grower. I am overwhelmed on planting them. Still deciding the location: south facing wall in a container or against south facing fence with my house 5' south of the fence? Container planting seems so much work. I searched on The mix formula in the forum and overwhelmed as well. I can have the 2nd kishu in a container out against the south facing wall with the dirt underneath. I am afraid that planting them next to the wall (3' deep dirt from house wall to the paver pathway) could damage the foundation. It would be much easier if I do plant in the ground. Kumquat in the container at the south facing wall as well. I could plant pixie next to the south facing fence to esplier it or trim narrow and tall.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to fertilizer the new citrus tree now?

2. Is it ok if I Plant in the container that is against south facing wall with a lot of sun and heat?

3. How big of the pot? Four wind grower website recommends using a small pot, then change it a year later. Can I use a bigger pot (18") immediately so I don't have to repot it soon?

3. Anyway to catch the water underneath the container so it will not get to my house foundation? If not, will a lot of water from pot sink into the dirt underneath?

4. What if I plant two citrus 1' away from my south facing house wall? Will the root and moisture damage my house?

5. Simplest way to plant the citrus in container and in ground?

6. Do I need amend the original soil for new citrus tree? My soil seems fine. My 5 stone fruit barefoot have just grown leaves on them.

thank you in advance for your time!

Comments (5)