SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
etherealsunshine5

Tomato Seedlings Slow Growth and Cotyledon leaves drying

I'm afraid I might be losing all of my tomato seedlings. I started these seeds on February 28 on a warming mat in peat moss. The photo shows the last of the peppers germinating, right before I took away the warming mat on 3/16. Everything looked fine up until then. I water from the bottom usually every 5 days or so. The trays are in a south facing sliding glass door and have 3 high output t5 "daylight" bulbs hanging above them. The heat mat was on 24/7 until the last pepper germinated, and the lights were on 13 hours (maybe 14?) along with some sunlight through the slider.

They survived almost a week when we were on vacation, and I've started misting the tops for water in the last week or so. I've had one (late germinating) bell pepper wilt before watering, but it recovered, and I had one cell of tomato seedlings wilt before watering since starting to mist from the top.

These seedlings have not really grown much since I took the heat mat away around 3/16. They are all about 1-1/2" to 2" tall and just starting to poke the first true leaves out, but they have been holding at this stage for the last week. The stems are darker purple than in the photo. Last night, I noticed that the cotyledon leaves are drying up!! I was happy with their slow growth as long as they weren't getting leggy. The seedlings on the window side lean slightly toward the artificial light, so it is nice and bright under there. It may be slightly cool near the window, but that should be ideal...we keep the house at 65F, so I imagine it could be 55-60F near the door at night.

I pulled a few of the weaker seedlings in one cell and they have tiny roots, not well branched, and about 1" deep...seemed weak to me.

I don't want to fertilize too soon, but I might feed a weak solution tonight...the stems are dark purple. Any ideas?

I'm almost thinking the cotyledon leaves could be sunburned from the misting (water magnifying the light on the leaves). The pepper seedlings still look small but ok, but are also growing slowly, have purple stems, and have no sign of true leaves.

I know people hate the peat cells, but I'll be potting up to plastic if they ever grow and those cells were what I grabbed this year. I was going to add a fan and thin them this week, but now I'm thinking of starting backup plants...Help!

Could it be simple sunburn? Should I feed? fan? pray? raise the lights slightly? start over? Did I weaken the roots waiting an extra week for the last of the peppers to sprout?

I gave up last year after mice ate my seedlings in the basement. That's why they're in the living room this year.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!