SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe_sc_garden

Slow seedling growth, yellow/brown leaves..

joe_sc_garden
10 years ago

My problem is with most of my plants just not growing as quickly as they're supposed to.. and now some are turning yellow/brown. It's been 1-2 months for most of my plants.. and everything is under 3".. besides the beans.

I live in coastal southern california, and planted in a raised garden bed that is south facing. Two of them at 24' x 2.5'.

I have an automated drip system, that was running for about 20 minutes, twice a week, with 1GPH drippers. (as per: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/water/msg0717000917870.html )

About 20% of the bed doesn't get any direct sun light. It's where most of the my beans are located. It was getting overwatered, because a strange mushroom has started growing there.

The rest of the garden's top soil is dry for about the first 1/2".. and then it's VERY wet and clumps together for about the next 8"+ down.

The soil's pH is 8+. It's a mix of organic top soil from a local, and a compost mix from the local nursery. I also mixed in some organic jobe's vegetable fertilizer two months ago when I built the beds.

I haven't used any other fertilizer until 3 days ago.. because I think this might be a part of the problem?

My tap water has a very high pH.. like ~9.. but I have everything filtered with the Halo 5, whole home water filtration system.. basically a bunch of media filters/carbon, that I guess make the water molecules smaller.. and their sales rep said plants should still love the water..?

What seems to be my problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This post was edited by joe_sc_garden on Thu, May 30, 13 at 15:18

Comments (7)