SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrewhenrichs

How much to charge for custom cabinets?

andrewhenrichs
8 years ago

Hi all,

I am a full time college student who has started to do custom cabinet jobs on the side. (I made a set of custom kitchen cabinets for my parents and really enjoyed doing it) I just wrapped up my first "official" job, and I am a little lost on how much to charge for the "profit" portion. I am about $1300 deep in materials alone and have quite a bit of time put into it. The project took me about two months mainly working on the weekends.

It was hard to keep track of exact time as the work on it was when I really had time aside from doing homework and working. I also don't want to use time as a calculator of it because a portion of it that took me 5 hours, may have only took an experienced cabinet maker 2.5 hours.

I was thinking that charging $2000 would give me about $600 in profit and able to pay the person who helped me out a few times around $100.

Is this too little? Too much? This is something I plan on persuing more after college, so I want to show customers that I'm competitive compared to others but at the same time be able to make enough to justify doing it.

The cabinets are hard maple painted white. There are six total cabinets. The two upper cabinets are 54" in height and the four lowers are 28" in height. I would say they are a more high end cabinet based on the ProClassic Enamel paint used, custom crown molding, and soft-close, full extension drawer glides.

I'm fairly new to all of this within the last year, so hopefully I'm making sense.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Drew

Comments (11)