SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Need jeans suggestions

Bunny
8 years ago

I pretty much live in jeans, always have. I have a bunch of Levis that are the same style--straight leg, no cuffing--and I need to replenish my wardrobe. People must think I wear the same pants every day, but I just have a lot that look the same.

I don't want super snug and I don't want mom jeans. I love 501s but they're harder to find in a store around me. I wouldn't consider buying pants of any kind, esp. jeans, without trying them on first.

I'm 5'4" and wear a 4-6, depending. I'm long-waisted, short-legged. I'm too old to wear cuffed jeans and besides, they make short legs look even shorter. No jeggings or slims, no boot cut. Don't particularly need hidden slimming panels.

There are two Macy's in my town but the choices are depressing. There's a Nordstrom about 40 miles from me.

Whenever I find a pair of jeans that fits well, the legs are too long. Why is it that the smaller the size, the longer your legs are supposed to be? Having them altered is a last resort.

Any help with brands? Straight leg, no cutting off circulation. Available in 30" length. Budget = ideally under $100, but if they fit really well, all bets are off. :)

Comments (56)

• Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't have skinny legs. Not fat, but I have thighs and calves. I hate any clothes that constrict, that don't allow a full range of motion. I like a slight bit of bunching over my shoes. So I haven't really been happy with the look of slims on me. Also, I'm not a tunic over jeans wearer. Tshirts in warm weather, turtlenecks in winter. Bury me in jeans and a tshirt.

• grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

I wear pretty much NYDJ exclusively. I don't think of them as mom jeans. I get a lot of compliments on them. I am 65. I have a terrible time getting pants that are long enough....size 4 or 6 with a 34 inch inseam. My NYDJ 's are mostly 33 inch....doable with flat shoes....but not what I love.

Bunny thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • Related Discussions

Bulbo Elizabeth Ann 'Jean' needs help!

Q

Comments (5)
    Sheila my Elizabeth Ann hangs so she doesn't sit in water but I also have both parents, longissimum and rothschildianum and they do. How much light is she getting? I grow all three of these bulbos in catt light. They say bulbos resent repotting but don't they say that about all orchids? I would definitely take a look at the roots. Here is an old picture of longissimum and you can see the basket it is in, sphag lined with p'nuts in the bottom and a CHC mix for the roots, topped with more sphag. This is E. A. 'Buckleberry' HCC/AOS growing in a basket that has consumed the media. This is watered heavily every other day. Both are blooming now, the roth blooms later. Brooke
    ...See More

Need pattern for organizer made with old Jeans pockets

Q

Comments (1)
    Here are patterns for a number of organizers made from recycled jeans. Do any of these match what you are looking for? http://www.ilovetocraft.com/sewing/denim-organizer.shtml http://www.whitesewing.com/PDFs/0805organizer.pdf http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=883 http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cda/article_print/1,1983,DIY_13746_2269932_ARTICLE-DETAIL-PRINT,00.html Also, a pattern for a Jeans purse: http://www.masseysewing.com/projects/kids/junk_jeans.html CMC
    ...See More

My jeans are SO loose

Q

Comments (19)
    I lost 40 pounds since July and having fun buying all new clothes. I don't care that I'm wearing jeans from stores that teens and young adults shop in. The only problem I have is the mid-rise jeans are not mid-rise anymore. They're low rise. I simply wear a belt and bought a lot of tunic style tops. Maybe you need to be fitted properly for a bra. I have to buy mine online (www.figleaves.com). I went into Victorias Secret yesterday to buy a convertible bra so I can wear tops with spaghetti straps this summer. The girl measure me the strangest way! Across my back, then up over top of my boobs for the band size! Then she did the fullest part and concluded my bra size. I took the bra she chose and knew before I even tried it on there was so way it would fit. I ended up buying my bra online. I'll have it in 3 weeks..... I used to buy a lot of clothes at Sears too. But I found when I went there to buy a dress to wear to our company Christmas dinner most of the clothes they carry now, my grandmother would not have worn. Their styles are so outdated and ugly. I ended up buying my dress at Le Chateau, which when they first opened, I called: Le Shat-ho.Most of the clothing they used to carry I only pictured hookers wearing. They've changed a lot. I've bought five new pairs of jeans in the past 3 weeks. 1 pair of Guess Jeans. 1 pair of Brody jeans, 1 pair of store brand (Bootlegger) jeans, and 2 pair of Silver jeans. I LOVE the Silver jeans. They're from a Canadian based company (Winnipeg) and the material is thicker. They're stone washed and extremely comfortable. I used to buy my jeans at a western wear store. My favourites for years were Aura jeans by Wranglers. But they don't make my style anymore and the jeans they do make have so much bling on the back pockets, and I don't need people staring at my butt. ;) The only problem I'm having is buying a pair of knee high dress boots. My calves are 16" around and most boots are 14" - 15". I've about given up. I did buy one pair of ankle boots that I love. Maybe I'll just find another pair with a bit of a heal on them and give in to defeat. Or defeet..... ;)
    ...See More

Blue Jean quilt questions (long)

Q

Comments (3)
    I have heard from some quilters that only cotton thread should be used with cotton fabric. They say that the poly thread can cut the cotton fabric. I've also heard that this is a bunch of hooey, and that any thread can be used. Personally, I like to match the thread to the fabric - cotton for cotton, poly for poly. My guess is that the Crown Royal bags are not cotton but probably a synthetic, or at least a blend. I think any thread would be okay. I'd take a bag to your local quilt shop or a Jo-Ann Fabrics or similar and find a thread that matches there. And I wouldn't worry about your jean quilt. My guess is that it will be just fine. Denim is a strong fabric. Have fun with your Crown Royal quilt. I've seen several on-line that were quite nice.
    ...See More
  • OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Try Ann Taylor. At one time they sold a 'curvy' style that I liked. Also Eileen Fisher might work for you. Some of the EF ankle length jeans might be good without rolling up in a cuff. And I also have good luck with Lucky brand. But you have to try on their different styles to figure out what works.

Bunny thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 4boys2
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

For 2 more days there's a Groupon for NYDJ. I just used it and got a pair for 1/2 off.

Grapefruit ~I got the Sarah classic in tall.

They also have petite.

See if there's anything HERE -( it says "this page only"at the top of site but all 10 pages are included) then grab the Goupon.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/nydj

Bunny thanked 4boys2
  • User
    8 years ago

My current favorites are a DKNY because the denim/spandex mix is so comfortable and flattering... not too stiff, not too clingy, not too anything. I also like a few Old Navy styles but only because a store is 5 minutes from me.

Happy2b, yes, what is it with jeans? And this isn't isolated to older women. My 20-something nieces who are very fit and lean complain about the same thing. Linelle, you're in good company.

Bunny thanked User
  • frankginakay
    8 years ago

This past week, I found several pairs online of NYDJ at Nordstrom rack for a great price. They are high enough in the waist, but not too high. They are dark wash, so they look very nice for jeans! I bought a few pairs because they fit so well. I am used to wearing skinny jeans as well, but the flare is coming back...and I have to say for my petite 5'2 frame, they look really good, and make my legs look long. I am all in for longer looking legs!

Bunny thanked frankginakay
  • eld6161
    8 years ago

Linelle, the skinny jeans look tight, but they have spandex and they stretch with you. Of course they do look especially tight on the young girls who probably size them that way.

When I mentioned tunic, I really meant just a longer top or sweater, but you might not need to.

I have tried NYDJ and they were very uncomfortable for me. Do they all have the stomach flattening strip across the stomach?

I am glad too that the flare is coming back, although being short, I might not be able to have them hemmed. Hopefully I will find some that work for me.

There are so many styles of jeans that it's almost a full time job to find one that works. But when I do, I make sure to have at least 3 pairs, and that will last for quite a while.

It's no wonder that many are reverting to wearing the yoga pants in place of jeans.

Sales have taken a severe dive this past few years.

Bunny thanked eld6161
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Since retiring, I find I now have a wardrobe of jeans...dress jeans navy, dress jeans black, casual jeans in navy and black, trouser jeans in navy and black, and knock around jeans for every day.

I'm 5'4" with longer torso and shorter legs so I find the short jeans fit me better than petite which are too short in the crotch on me. I'm also curvy with a waistline, so I've never been able to wear Levi's as they always gape like crazy in the back waist.

We have a VF (vanity fair) outlet I go to and it's well worth the trip. They carry Lee's and Wrangler's. The best part is the variety of sizes and shapes (boot cut, straight leg, relaxed, curvy fit, etc.) and pocket styles and locations, that they carry, not to mention the price...I can get them for $7-10...sometimes even less. I can go there and try on 20 pair and find just the right fit and comfort for me.

Otherwise, the jeans I can walk into pretty much are the Gloria Vanderbilt which I can find at sears, kohls and jcpenney. Again, they fit me well in the waist.

Bunny thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • busybee3
    8 years ago

i have a lot of levis too... but i don't like some of the denims of some of their ladies jeans as much as i used too...

probably some my favorite jeans i have now are from eddie bauer... i have their curvy style(they have different waist styles) because i have a narrow waist, but i also have a long waist and shorter legs for my ht... anyway i love the way they fit and i like the denim- they are super comfortable!

Bunny thanked busybee3
  • User
    8 years ago

Jeans shopping is dreadful for me, too. What's frustrating is how quickly brands modify the fit in their lines. Just when you find a brand that works, they alter the cut. I'm reluctant to buy in multiples because styles go out quickly. I'm not trend-driven with clothing, except being out of step with jeans style makes me feel dated. The media has succeeded in infecting me with Mom Jeans Anxiety.

That's why I like Levi's where jeans can be jeans without making a statement on trends. However, I am a tough fit with theirs because of small waist to hip ratio. Like the OP, my legs aren't fat but they are muscular and short. A terrible combo when shopping for jeans!

I have NYDJ and Kenneth Cole right now as my "good" jeans and wear Gloria Vanderbilt in Short for everyday around the house.

Bunny thanked User
  • DYH
    8 years ago

I like Ann Taylor Modern Fit, Lucky Brand and Madewell. Madewell brand is my favorite, but there's a local store so I can try on all their styles and purchase only when there's a sale. I wear all styles--boyfriend, straight, skinny, ankle, bootcut.

My 2 yo granddaughter was a bit concerned by the rips in the knees of my jeans this past weekend! :-)

Bunny thanked DYH
  • User
    8 years ago

Jeans are different for everyone, but I swear by NYDJ. I have several pairs and love them, and will keep buying that brand. They have just the right amount of stretch and feel great on. I like that the waistband is not too high or too low, and they are definitely not "mom jeans", in spite of the name!

Bunny thanked User
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone for your empathy and good suggestions. I love Eddie Bauer and will check him out at the mall.

I would say that length is probably my biggest obstacle. While boot cut can look great and elongate short legs if you're wearing a heel, in reality, I'm in flat shoes 90% of the time. And then the wider bottom can accentuate how short my legs are.

The beauty of classic Levi's (501s, etc.) is that, well, they're classic. Hmmm, where have I heard that one before? :p

• Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh jeez, I just figured out what NYDJ means (thanks for the clue, TR). I thought it was "New York something."

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

That's too funny, Linelle! I am tall, and I have tried NYDJ. They fit ok on me, but I have a booty (still shaped pretty well from a lot of running) and after wearing them a while, they sort of stretch too much, iykwim, and get all saggy, baggy below the butt on me. I'd really rather my jeans look a little more fitted. Your results might vary.

• User
    8 years ago

News flash! Was just watching The View and they are featuring NYDJ as a one-day deal at 50% off. A good opportunity for those interested to try these. There are petites and plus sizes among those offered in this promotion.

If you google - The View, View Your Deal - you'll find the site.

Bunny thanked User
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Outside, I know what you mean about the butt area. Back in the day, before 501s for women, there was just one style and they were designed for guys' butts. There was always a pooch of denim here and there that never complimented my butt. I love the button fly.

And someone upthread mentioned a different weight or kind of denim. I know what you mean. I love the old stuff and it smelled like denim should. Gold Rush pants.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

amck2, thanks for the tip!!! I think I'll pop into Macy's today and try some on to see how they fit. Do they generally stay true to size?

• lisaw2015 (ME)
    8 years ago

I absolutely adore Lucky Brand, but beware, they run very small. I usually wear a 14 but have to buy a 16 in this brand. I also like Eddie Bauer very much. I would love to try a pair of Madewell but I refuse to spend that kind of money on a pair of jeans...

Bunny thanked lisaw2015 (ME)
  • User
    8 years ago

Linelle, I agree about wearing flats with jeans/pants with a wide hemline. I look like I'm standing in a bucket!

My best look is slim jeans tucked into tall boots. But when it's not seasonally appropriate, I think I look better in ankle-length jeans that have a trim, but not tight-fitted leg opening.

Bunny thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

Linelle, re NYDJ fit, they suggest going down a size from other brands. I think that's true if you're comparing to upscale brands like Lucky.

Bunny thanked User
  • busybee3
    8 years ago

amck- i have never seen or tried on nydj... but i checked the view offer- are they all high waisted?? it can sometimes be hard to tell by pictures, but they do look a little like 'mom jeans' from the pics- i think because of the waist...?

Bunny thanked busybee3
  • 4boys2
    8 years ago

busy -here's a video of the nydj .I think they are called mid-rise ..And yes pretty high but they were developed to hide the mid-bulge .

http://www.nydj.com/farrah-flare/d/4507_c_37_cl_13006

Bunny thanked 4boys2
  • Sueb20
    8 years ago

My experience with Lucky Brand jeans is the opposite of lisaw -- I find that they run large. They have a lot of different styles so it probably depends on which ones you're trying. I like the more relaxed-fit styles.

Zappos carries both NYDJ and Lucky jeans so maybe you could order a bunch and try them on at home? Free shipping and returns!

I have tried NYDJ a few times without success. I have a relatively small waist and bigger hips/thighs and I always, always have to take in the waist, no matter what, but to get NYDJ in a size I could pull up over my hips, the waist was ridiculously big. My limited experience is that they are designed more for women who have small hips and a less defined waist -- but again, they have a lot of different styles so who knows.

Bunny thanked Sueb20
  • grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

Thank you, 4 boys2 !!!! I never knew that NYDJ had any talls. I am looking to purchase some today!!

Bunny thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • sas95
    8 years ago

My issue with jeans is that once I find a pair that fits in the store, they all stretch out over time and the fit is never the same.

Higher waist jeans are no longer all "mom jeans." I have noticed that the expensive brands are all starting to do high waisted styles now, which are more fitted than the dreaded mom jean. They seem to be trending again. I recently bought two pairs of fitted higher rise jeans (Hudson and J Brand), and I am a convert. Mainly because I don't have to continually check whether I am showing too much skin, or if my underwear is sticking out. I still like my Levis, too, but it's nice to have a few more stylish pairs that I can dress up when I want to.

Bunny thanked sas95
  • User
    8 years ago

Thanks for the Lucky jeans suggestion. I ordered a pair today and will return or exchange at a local store if they don't work out. I searched yesterday, online unsuccessfully for another of my favorite LRL Premium jeans. :(

Bunny thanked User
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So, I finally became acquainted with NYDJ today. Macy's is having a sale on everything, but not them, of course. It's true about sizing down. I thought the 4 fit comfortably, not loosely, but too much fabric or something. The 2 was perfect. I'm pretty sure they lie about the size. I didn't get smaller. It's the psychology of wearing a smaller size. Oooh, I want that. But no. Although I tried on a Short, they were still too long, needed to be hemmed, but was something I could have easily done. So I thought, here goes...When I got out of the dressing room into the bright store lights, I just wasn't crazy about the denim itself. I want denim, not stretchy fabric that approximates denim. The fit was okay, needed hemming, fabric was meh. I decided not to buy.

Went into American Eagle (by the way was on an American Eagle flight last month and it was the best flight I've ever been on). I was expecting the worst, but it was kind of a cute store. Being extremely old, I was invisible/ignored. They had nothing that wasn't threatening to my circulation.

Eddie Bauer had no women's jeans at all.

But I didn't come home empty-handed. I found a pair of faded straight legs at the Gap, and only parted with $70. So it looks like I've had them a while, that's okay.

• eld6161
    8 years ago

LInelle, did you get a Gap survey attached to your receipt? I seem to always get one, but it's supposed to be random. You fill out the survey online, when finished you get a code to write on your receipt. Keep the receipt handy for the next time you shop. It will entitle you to 20 percent off a full priced item. It's good for 3 months.

I would check to see how long you have for a price adjustment. Sometimes the whole store is 30% off.

Last week I bought a sweater from the sale section for under $10 (reduced from $59) and they had a mystery box for a further discount. Mine was for an additional 30 off!

I hate paying full price, but I do make an exception for jeans, pants and shorts.

Bunny thanked eld6161
  • akl_vdb
    8 years ago

Glad you found something!

Bunny thanked akl_vdb
  • Lori Armstrong
    8 years ago

I also live in jeans (Lucky's and Levi's). Even at 56 I have to have low rise. I hate having the waist band up close to my floating ribs. My job requires a lot of driving, reaching, bending and such (mail carrier). Even well fitted, high waists make me sore and feel constricted. Also my legs are not thin, so anything pegged in at the bottom is very tight on my calves and pull at the knees when I sit.

Like Levi's, Lucky's come in many styles and you need to find the right one for you (mine is Maggie cut). As mine get abused both at work and here on the farm I've become very fond of buying them on ebay. I don't often go in for used clothes, but if careful those $80-$100 jeans can be had for $20 or so.

Bunny thanked Lori Armstrong
  • busybee3
    8 years ago

wow, no women's jeans at all in EB?! how odd!

i like the looks and feel of gap jeans and still have an old pair or 2, but the last few times i shopped there, all their women's jeans and pants GAPped hugely at the waist...

Bunny thanked busybee3
  • OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Glad you found those cool jeans!

• Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ellen, no survey on my receipt!! Given that this was the end of the line of my quest yesterday, I can deal with it. :)

busybee, these don't gap too much at my waist. I hate tucking things in, so it doesn't matter too much. Also, being long-waisted already, low-rise pants make me even longer, with legs looking shorter.

There might have been a few pairs of women's jeans at EB, but I missed them.

I think the biggest hurdle I encountered is length, i.e., too much of it.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

probably... next time you're near an EB, check the walls- often times their jeans are set up similar to levis stores with the jeans folded into cubbies built into the wall...

Bunny thanked busybee3
  • Kitchenwitch111
    8 years ago

I was shopping for new jeans a
    few weeks ago, and I wanted skinny jeans in a dark wash, no whiskering or distressing.
    I tried Gap & BR, but they didn’t have the color I wanted, and then I went to
    the local department stores, but I really didn’t want to spend $100.00, so I
    thought I’d hit Old Navy and see what they had. I found High-Waist Rock Star
    Skinny jeans, and they fit great, and brought them to the register. There was
    no price tag on them, so I asked how much they were. The clerk scanned them and
    said “Forty Seven Cents.” Whaaaat? Really??? Yes, they were $.47. I asked if
    there were any more, because at that price I could buy 5 pair and wouldn’t even
    spend $2.50, LOL. She said that this particular pair was a return from online
    and for some reason, that’s how much they were marked down to, and any others
    would be a regular price; I just got lucky that I found this pair. After bringing them home and wearing them, I
    decided that I really did like them and bought 2 more, another in dark wash and
    also in black. I had to pay about $30.00 for each of them, but I would
    recommend them, at any price.

Bunny thanked Kitchenwitch111
  • eld6161
    8 years ago

I think that Old navy is a step down in quality from the Gap. i bought two pairs of shorts at Old Navy last year. The fabric changed completely after I washed them.

You got a good deal so if it works for you that's great. I have a friend who gets all her jeans and cords there.

The thing with all these stores is not so much that the styles change, but the quality control of the garments. I'm a 6 short (petite). If a pair is too tight in the waist, I will go out and get all the 6's. There can be a difference of an inch in the waist.

Talking about deals: My DD once paid 25 cents for a blazer. The store was having a sale, plus she had a promotion coupon that they allowed her to use.

Bunny thanked eld6161
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Today I discovered the Levi's Slims (712, I think) are do-able for me. Unfortunately, my Macy's has very little 30" inseams so I tried them on for fit and will order online from Levi's where there are a lot more options. Like Ellen, I found that the same size can vary from pair to pair and fabric to fabric.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ellen, no kidding. So the jeans I wanted to order online at Levi's doesn't have my length. Sigh.

I did discover the $200+ jeans motherlode at one of my Macy's today. So many are faux damaged, way beyond distressed. Some are even patched with non-matching fabric, something I might have done in the early 70s. The ones with threads strung across the "rip"? WTF? It would be so easy to snag those suckers and then you'd just have a plain hole in your pants.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Kitchenwitch, $0.47??!! You get the prize for the best deal all year! Congratulations on that find. Heck, if you only get to wear them a few times and they fall apart, it's all good. And $30 isn't bad either.

Ellendi, you are right about what we have to go thru. Just when we think we have it all figured out, the manufacturing changes. The only thing comparable is a swimsuit, IMO. And I think I have that one finally figured out by brand.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

It's already mentioned above but I love my Loft jeans, so comfy! Another fav is Banana Republic's slim trouser Jean, they are well constructed and comfortable.

Bunny thanked just_terrilynn
  • 4boys2
    8 years ago

Linelle ~ Did you check Zappos for your size ?

http://www.zappos.com/levis-womens-712-slim-land-and-sea?ef_id=VMvCcAAAAKYgzJx1:20160325181559:s

I've never shopped Zappos but have heard good things.

Bunny thanked 4boys2
  • User
    8 years ago

Received a pair of LB Lolita Skinny Jean in the Matira wash today. Not 100% sure about the wash yet, but the fit is great. Probably would not have ordered had the description on Belk website (can easily return locally) said "extra stretch" or similar (back in my closet now). Wondering how much they will stretch - 93% cotton, 6% polyester, 1% elastane. Some of my LRL jeans stretch TOO much, but my favorite LRL jearns are 96% cotton and 4% other. I have to return two shirts, so will probably not remove tags yet and see what store has in stock.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do like the cut, length and fit.

Bunny thanked User
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

4boys2, thanks for the link! I've never bought anything from Zappos, but many of my friends do. I bought a pair of soft black 712s in my size/length. I'm a bit leery of ordering pants online, but at least Levi's are a known quantity and Zappos has a good return policy.

• 4boys2
    8 years ago

Linelle~ I'll keep my fingers crossed for you..nothing better then ordering online then a good return policy..

• PLF (Middle TN, Zone 7a)
    8 years ago

Eddie Bauer....I won't buy any other brand of jean ever! Love their straight leg, and the shape stays put even after washing.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

4boys2, the Levi's from Zappos just arrived. Wearing them right now.

30 minutes later: They're going back. They fit, but I don't care for the snug fit through the thigh. I would be thinking about it all the time. Makes my straight leg Gap jeans in a size smaller seem super roomy. I swear the pair I tried on in a different fabric in Macy's wasn't as snug. With pants, you just can never tell.

• eld6161
    8 years ago

See! If those jeans were in the store you could have tried on ten of the same jeans in our size and at least one would fit. A sales rep told me years ago that black material was a whole other animal, which explains why they fit differently.

If they look really good, those would be my "going out to dinner for a few hours" jeans. But I see your point. It doesn't make sense to keep marginal things.

Bunny thanked eld6161
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Black material, huh? Interesting. I thought at first they'd be okay, but they made me self-conscious. They were okay to sit in, crotch not too high. My thighs aren't huge, but not skinny. It felt so good to get back into my new faded Gaps. The quest continues.