SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wisconsitom

Virginia Creeper revisited

wisconsitom
8 years ago

To GardenGal, et al: A while back, somebody here was looking for a vine idea for what I believe was a wire fence. I mentioned the Virginia creeper which has covered a hogwire fence in my backyard since at least 1981. Some-GG you were one-expressed suprise or doubt that this could be so, as this vine supports itself with suction disks. Well, I don't know how to put this politely, but I knew I hadn't been hallucinating all these years and decades-the vines are clearly this ultra-common species, and they are clearly billowing up and over that fence every year. But you did get me to wondering what was going on. Well, with our usual balky spring here in NE Wisconsin, I finally got out in my back yard over the weekend and thought I'd take a look. Quite simply put, Virginia creeper has tendrils! I guess I knew this but wanted to self-verify before putting it out here for all the world to read. Yes, they also have suction disks at the ends of these tendrils, so, a multiple of means to support themselves. But in any case, tendril they do......and have zero difficulty negotiating a wire fence.

Comments (3)