SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shadegrower204

Braided Avocados?

Peter
8 years ago

So I've been growing some avocado pits and have had some success with them. I have a few avo plants a few years old which take up quite a bit of room in my small house and I guess I'm happy with them all-in-all. I pretty much have them figured out; how they tend to grow and what their needs are and so on...

And like most amateur bonsai newbs, I've had my spin with pachira aquaticas as well, those are all great but this had me thinking.... has anyone ever braided avocados before? I've searched around and the most I've heard was "I'm gonna try it" or "I would not recommend it", and no real answers or reasons or results given.

Well, I'm going to attempt it for myself, by golly! I have 5 pits rooting as we speak... but before it's too late maybe someone here actually knows why this is just not done and what would be the big problem with this idea. Do avocado trunks not fuse well? Even if they don't, that's still fine as I see many old braided money trees not completely fused. Or is it that they strangle eachother to death? How, if their trunks are so eternally thin? Maybe the roots crowd and kill the whole thing off by some unavoidable process that I'm not familiar with? Or maybe the end result is the same as if you just properly trained a much older avocado tree thereby making the whole braiding fiasco redundant?

Why hasn't this been done and thoroughly documented on the web?! Why why why? What am I missing?

Comments (23)

Sponsored