SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emilyaccio

Dog keeps breaking windows – Replacement advice?

emilyaccio
8 years ago

We recently bought an old house (1906) with the original single-paned windows. Some of the panes appear to be original, or at least close to – with the wavy and imperfect glass that indicates extreme age. Anyway, our mixed breed rottweiler has slowly started breaking these panes, with 3 cracked or smashed so far. I don't imagine the old glass is particularly strong, but I worry about paying to replace all these windows, and that he'll continue to break the new ones.

Does anyone know if glass is particularly stronger than it used to be? Will new windows stop this from happening, or will we just have to keep paying out to replace as he breaks? Are there options for stronger glass?

* I know that some people would advise to keep the old windows since they're original to the house and it's fairly easy to switch out the panes. But they are also completely painted shut and have 100+ years of paint on them; and don't insulate worth anything. The expense might be crazy, but I think we'd be happier with new in the long run.

Comments (16)