SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Spa pool vs. Small pool

mrspete
8 years ago

Today I saw a sign by the road advertising for grill accessories, and it attracted me to visit a new store. Turns out they didn't have anything we don't already have in terms of Big Green Egg accessories, but they did have a Spa Pool on display.

Wow. I'd heard of these, but I didn't really grasp they were THIS BIG. The one on display as 14', and they are available as large as 19'. We were planning on going with one of the smallest fiberglass pools they make, so this is in the size ballpark.

The idea of them driving it up to the house and essentially just dumping it on a concrete slab is attractive. You fill it with a garden hose, so the lack of plumbing installation is appealing.

It has seats all around and the "current" against which you can swim. In this sense, it's more appropriate for adults, and this is a retirement house for us. But we also want it to be available for family swim parties, and that would include kids.

It comes with a four-piece cover, so if it's just the two of us, we could flip back just half of it.

The price was also attractive: $21,000. That includes delivery. We'd need a concrete pad and electrical. The pool about which we've been thinking would be more.

But the negative: It's above ground. It looks like an above-ground hot tub, only much larger. The guy said we could build a deck around it. No, not really, not on our pancake-flat land.

And I did want the "look" of a pool, not something above ground.
I don't know if I like this or not, but it definitely caught my eye in the store. Anyone have experiences with such things?

Comments (12)