SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vintagekeo

IKEA Kitchen Review: 6+ years in - good & bad, plus input needed

Katherine
8 years ago

Bought a '77 house with an original kitchen spring of 2009. Here's what it looked like:

Installed a mostly-IKEA kitchen Fall 2009. Have been happy with the cabinetry, not so much with the rest. Scan down for specifics and to the bottom for my latest problem and advice needed. Thank you and would love to answer any questions.

Here it is in Jan '10, shortly after installation, with all the IKEA pieces working. (We waited from Thanksgiving through New Year's for the replacement oven on the left!)

Appliances - used three IKEA by Whirlpool appliances: range hood, gas cooktop and 24" electric oven. Originally-purchased oven never worked and had a 3 mo. epic battle getting another one. All 3 appliances have been so-so in quality and performance.

Faucet - their Ringskar model failed in less than 2 years (the lever that adjusts hot/cold fatigued and could not be repaired). They replaced it under warranty, but why would I put in another one with the same design flaw? Replaced with a similar-looking but much higher quality Cifial model from Portugal.

Fittings - most of the pieces that fit in the cabinets have worked well and held up. Also love that wooden cart in the center. Be careful buying their hardware though. Our Hedra knobs turned out to be anthracite-colored paint on aluminum, which wore off quickly on frequently-used locations. Replaced all with repro vintage ruby red glass at about 5 years. Saved the old knobs -- the rest of the paint could be removed and one would have a great set of silver knobs, but that would be a lot of work.

Sink - those Domsjo ceramic sinks look great, but mine has not held up to hard use (I cook a lot). The right bowl developed a 4" double hairline crack about a year ago. I've covered it with mats for now, since the thing isn't leaking. The surface of the sink is wearing badly, too. Plus, the thing requires constant cleaning with our lousy FL water --it has a "drainboard" at the back where the faucet is, which is constantly covered with water.

Photo taken soon after cracks appeared - now looks more obvious, as it is stained.

The sink is warrantied for 15 years, so I can get another one. But to do so, I have to pay someone to remove the one above, take it to IKEA and hope they have the sink in stock. (High demand item!)

Even though the sink is going to be even more expensive to replace with something else, I am going that route instead. The reason it will be so hard: this is a 36" sink that covers the entire cabinet, to the back splash. My carpenter (and thank heaven I have a good one) will have to rebuild (or possibly replace) the cabinet to hold the new sink, then I'll have to try and get new counter to fit in with my existing Caesarstone counter. (Love it - not IKEA purchased or installed, though.)

I am looking at a Blanco Siligranit Super Single in metallic silver, and then a grey Caesarstone to blend with the existing Raven counter and white marble backsplash. None of this will be cheap or easy. All input welcome at this stage, as no decisions are made yet.

I'll end on a happier note, with a photo of my favorite part of the kitchen. When we bought the house, it had an ugly skylight near the sink, since there is no kitchen window. This was a piece of translucent plastic held up by a trim strip. My carpenter opened it up, dry-walled it and painted it to match the interior of my open cabinets. Now I love to look up at my sycamore's branches. Proof that a negative for a home shopper can turn into a major positive with the right help.

Comments (15)