SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christine_jackson9393788

Kitchen Island in front of Stairs?

Christine Ann Victoria
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello, I am renovating my 70s sidesplit into an open concept kitchen, living and dining room. I am trying to accommodate a 7 FT X 3.5 FT kitchen island and also a 68 INCH X 48 INCH dining table I inherited. The only way that I can figure out the kitchen layout is to have the island come out about 1/2 FT in front of the staircase that goes up to the second level. With stools, I assume it will be about 1 FT in front of the staircase. I am planning on leaving about 4.5 FT from the base of the stairs to the start of the island, but I wonder if this will still be bad as ppl will walk down the stairs into the island. In terms of the dining room, we are going to continue our kitchen cupboards into the dining room and make a built in hutch/bar area with them. But, this mean that the dining room table can't sit against the wall and will intrude quite a bit into what is now the living room. We don't plan on using the living room as our family room, more of just a living room for guests, but I'm wondering if the kitchen dining room are intruding too much and essentially leaving us with nothing to work with. I suppose I could lose the cupboards and hutch in the dining room to move the table close to the wall, but I really don't want to. I would really love some advice on whether the island placement and intruding into the living room are horrible ideas. Here is a drawing of the space.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!