SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

The not so big house, love the concept, the book, meh.

So at the suggestion of many here I ordered the book "the not so big house". Took me about a day to read cover to cover. My mother-in-law, an interior designer, has this book and I borrowed it from her a few years back. At the time I wasn't going to build, I just liked design books. While I like many of the concepts verbalized I don't really find the book terribly enjoyable. I'm sure a big part of my issue is that there is a preponderance of Arts and Craft and Prairie style homes, and tons of references to Frank Lloyd Wright. Styles that depress me and an architect whom I don't revere. I've toured a couple of his homes and was not impressed. I liked the artistry of the homes but thought they were not something I'd ever want to live in. Then our book club read the book "Loving Frank", further deteriorating my opinion.

My husband has now started reading it and is better at compartmentalizing the text from the pics and will probably get more out of it than I.

I also got the book, "Creating the not so big house". This looks like it may be more up my alley style wise so will start on that tonight.

I realize the author hails from the part of the country where that style is suited to the locale I just wish there was a bit more variety.

Additionally I got a few other books recommended by GWers so am looking forward to getting those soon.

Comments (9)