SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
columbiascgw

Small House Books

columbiasc
13 years ago

As my screen name suggests, I live in Columbia, South Carolina. Our public library is a fabulous amenity. Just think about it. I go to their wesite, log in, search their inventory, request up to 10 books at one time, wait three of four days, I get an automated phone call telling me my items are ready at whichever of the 5 branches I ask them to send the items to, I drive over, walk to a special shelf, find my name, take my items to a self checkout station and in under 2 minutes I am out the door. Who could ask for more?

I've been working my way through the architecture/homes/design section. I'm only about one-fourth of the way through and have found a plethora of book titles devoted to small homes. There are the usual suspects like the Not So Big House but to my surprise, there are many other books devoted to the concept. Here are some of my favorites so far:

Tiny Tiny Houses by Lester Walker

Floor plans for many tiny houses, including ThoreauÂs cabin.

Blueprint Small by Michelle Kodis

More small floor plans.

The New Cottage Home by Jim Tolpin

A collection of small floor plans.

Haven; Cozy Hideaways and Dream Retreats by Allison Serrell

Photographs and descriptions of everything from tiny off-grid retreats to pool houses and backyard retreats to cabins.

Ideas for Great Backyard Retreats by Sunset Books

Photographs, descriptions and floor layouts for backyard retreats, pool houses, writing sheds, etc.

Japanese Design Solutions for Compact Living by Michael Freeman

Photographs and descriptions of actual homes and apartments in modern day Japan.

Although I am in a small space now, my preferred goal is to design and build my own small space from the ground up so I can get all the features and energy efficiency in from the beginning. These books are a great inspiration and resource. They have been a great way for me to get through the extreme heat we have been experiencing. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Scott

Comments (9)