SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

Foca, Rediscovered

mamapinky0
8 years ago

Yesterday I spent some time orginizing and cleaning the detergent shelf in ones laundry room, and came across my jar of Foca that I premixed with STPP. As I had a load of whites to do figured, what the heck, its been quite awhile since I've used this stuff. Ran the load with137F with the Foca/STPP mixture, yes it suds'ed up a bit, but when I shut the machine down for a little soak (1hour) the suds fell, but reappeared upon agitation. Rinse water was completely clear. Whites came out clean and bright white with a lovely clean scent. I forgot how much I enjoy the cleaning preformance and light fresh scent of Foca and may use it for a week or so. Should mention I did not use FS with this load as things ususlly come out quite soft enough using Foca.

I do not advocate the use if this in a FL'er, reguardless if it rinses so clean and clear, your going to have too many suds if you use the amount that will do the job.

TL users, you should give it a try, Walmart does carry it, course its phosphate free as all Foca is now days, but you could always add your own phosphates if so inclined. You will be amazed how things come out of the dryer soft and smelling so fresh and clean, I plan to do my bedding in this stuff today.

Comments (21)

• User
    8 years ago

How much do you use in your TL? I can get Foca at the 99 Cents Only store

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Veda, I premix with stpp at a ratio of 1 part stpp and 2 parts Foca, for a full load I add just slightly more than 1/3 cup. Of course without stpp added I'd think about 1/2 cup. The back of the bag says use 1 cup, or it used to, but that's simply too much. Let me know what you think if you try it. I know there are a few others here somewhere that also like it, along with one person and can't remember her name that uses it as her daily driver.

• User
    8 years ago

Thanks, I've been considering picking some up and I need to go there today anyhow :)

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Jean, I've used the Liquid Foca, what can I say about it..lol. even a tiny amount, certainly not enough to clean is too sudsy. I was not impressed. I ended up using mine to clean the toilets, isn't it Sandy that does this also, clean toilets with laundry detergent. .LOL...

Your very welcome Veda.

I always said its too bad some of these Mexican detergents are so sudsy, but they are formulated to be this way. Mexican housewives have been taught that a detergent doesn't clean if there arnt tons of froth and I don't think they were ever taught differently like the US housewives, which even today many people in the US still believe the more froth the better. Thats how grandma did it and it continued. But back in the day, when laundering was done with soap, it required a nice heavy layer of suds, than Packaged Soap Flakes hit the market, still soap and still required a ton of froth. Even when synthetic detergent hit the shelves the manufacture often permoted their product by declairing how sudsy it was. Is it any wonder that grandma and mom thought the sudsier the better. This attitude has been passed down to many younger generations in the US, This is probably why you will see many people in a laundramat adding more and more detergent to a load of wash, they are seeking tons of froth that to them is an indication the stuff is working.

• dadoes
    8 years ago

Foca powder is a favorite but I only use it in my (mostly)-non HE F&P toploader. I say mostly because it has an automatic pretreatment phase that works on HE (low water, concentrated detergent) principles, which can involve some oversudsing if a suitable full dose is used at the start. I usually have to dose about 1/2 at first, then add the rest toward end of the pretreat period.

Last use of it was a couple days ago for a LARGE load of shirts, a couple of which were more grungy than usual from yard work. I took a chance with dosing, using at the start 1 measured cup of Foca, 2 tbsp of STPP (less than MamaPinky's proportions), and approx 2+ tbsp Biz powder. Sudsing was OK. I added another 1/4 cup Foca after the pretreat for total of 1-1/4 cups. Seems like a lot but my well water is moderately hard and this was a full load (I'm betting larger than Mama would run in her SQ). NO sudsing during the agitated wash. Rinse clear.

I've been tempted to try the liquid version but I'm not all that much of a detergent junkie, LOL.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dadoes, I can understand the larger does of Foca if you have harder water.

Believe me I don't underload, ok, sometimes I do, lol...but usually I have full loads, I make sure I still have turn over and the machine doesn't have to struggle but full loads.

Your machine intrigues me, I want one lol.

Save your money although the liquid Foca is cheap its just not anywhere close to how well the powder can preform. You may not be a detergent junkie, but your a machine junkie, is there no machine you cant DX and repair lol.

You did use less STPP in this load than me, but wasn't it you that sometimes uses 1 part to 1 part?

• Jase
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I decided I was going to grab some Foca for the first time today. I went into one of the two local Mexican Grocery stores here in town. It's the store that I've bought Ariel (liquid and powder) from. They only have the small bags of Foca, but I was happy to find two bags with phosphates at the very back of the shelf. SCORE! I will be trying it out on my next load of whites. :)

This store still has Ariel w/phosphates. I should stock up on that too.

I need to check the other store but it's across town and I'm sure it has a higher rate of product restock as that area of the city has a much larger Mexican population. Might not be as lucky, but maybe a little trip is in order this weekend!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

How do you know the Foca has phosphates?

Good score.

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

MAMA....Did you SHUT your new FL'er down mid cycle for a soak :-O Or did you use the Soak option?!

OMG, I hope you are not trying to "turn the dial" back on your computer controlled modern Duet washer. Please tell us you are not doing this. PLEASE....let the machine begin and finish a cycle!!! xoxo

• Jase
    7 years ago

@Mama - I know it has phosphates because it lists them on the ingredients on the back of the package and the front of the bag doesn't show "no phosphates." The rest of the bags on the shelf were the no phosphate type, so it was easy to compare the differences in ingredients and wording.

• User
    7 years ago

Just bought another bag of Foca at Walmart yesterday. I use nothing else any longer. I line dry everything, and they smell divine, between the Foca and the sun. For whites, I add White Brite (or OUT, as it is called at WalMart). Soak for 15 minutes. Amazing stuff.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Larsi..my dear boy..what in the world Is all that racket about...HAHA what are you t as lking about..lol. xoxo

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

@Larsi - It's an old thread. MamaP was using her SQ when she mentions "shutting down" the machine :) xoxoxo

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OMG...LARSI....this us an old post HAHAHAHA

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

HaHAhahahaha...ROFL

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Exactally how would that be done Larsi....omg so funny....No my kiddo..I'm not playing around I promise

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This gave me a good laugh which is good I was feeling tired and it gave me energy...also I want to say I will never use Foca in a FL'er not with my soft water, that would be a disaster. Lol

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

I am just going to say it...LMFAO!!!!! . I think I almost got the whirlies when I saw that you turned off the machine for a soak. Silly me...I did not look at the original post date!

I was so getting ready to fly to PA to slap you with a bag of Foca!!!!! :)

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I guess I can't blame you LOL..I do have a long history of playing around with washers..but this time I gave Roc my word I would let the washer operate as designed..so ...no playing at least not if it alters or interfers with the proper function of the machine. LOL.

• sandy1616
    7 years ago

I was freaking out about the amount of detergent used! Whew!