SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetsarahbeth

Move in after final or wait until every last thing is done?

sweetsarahbeth
8 years ago

We have our final inspection with the county scheduled for tomorrow. Assuming we pass (it's our second inspection and the corrections list had been completed), we are up in the air as to whether we should move in this weekend or wait for every last thing to be finished. Our builders have said that they don't mind either way.

So far we have punched out three of the bedrooms and started moving stuff into those and the rest of our stuff is in the garage. There are still some finish things that need to be completed throughout the rest of the house, some of which are change orders that we are paying a little extra for, such as building the fireplace mantle.

There are also things that we need to finish doing ourselves, including sanding and sealing our butcher block counter tops before they're used.

We are currently living on the land in a school bus (6 of us) and so are, of course, quite eager to get into the house, but I also kind of want to hold out until it's all done and finished so our builders don't feel like we've kind of accepted it as is and the pressure is off them to tie up those last little loose ends. And I don't want furniture getting damaged or dusty or accidentally painted.

I also would like to avoid living in a construction area (although at this point I'm not feeling really picky - ANY thing has got to be better than this bus!)

Another large part of me is hesitant to watch my four young children begin the inevitable destruction of the house. Sigh.

Just wanted to hear others' thoughts - did you wait until every last t was crossed or did you move in the second you were given your occupancy permit? Do you have any regrets either way?

Comments (12)