SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kymberie

One Main Entry House Plan, Right Side Driveway?

Kim Le
8 years ago

Can anyone provide us some help with our concern with our house plan? We want to have a side entrance through our mudroom for all guests. However, we are not sure how to style the front house. Do you think this is even possible? Our home will be built next to our parent's home. They live on the driveway side of the house. Therefore, we would like to have a "friend's entry" but be a main entry based on the location of the driveway. Can anyone provide any help, I feel like I am losing my mind. We see the architect again in two weeks and I cannot come to an agreement.

Comments (20)

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Put a foyer NEXT to the mudroom so you can enter from the mudroom into a nice foyer and your guests can enter through the foyer. The best of both worlds. Sarah Susanka in her book The Not So Big House showcases one or two examples of where the foyer and mudroom are next to one another but still separated.

• arialvetica
    8 years ago

The one in Susanka's book really is the perfect example of blending "formal guest entry" and "casual family entry" into one cohesive space.

Think about how you want the space to work. Do you ever envision preferring a "formal experience" for guests? Or are all your visitors the kind of friends/family who you prefer to greet informally, a la "mi casa es su casa?"

I always disliked my formal entry in my previous home -- for some reason it always felt awkward greeting guests in that space! And I hated that it was wasted square footage to heat, cool, clean, decorate.Whenever guests were coming over, I was out there frantically shoveling snow to clear a path from the parking over by the garage up to the "formal entrance." I would have preferred people enter through our mudroom (we keep ours tidy), but that would have required snaking between cars in the garage.

Meanwhile, I didn't like that MY "experience" entering my house was so meh. A small windowless coatroom greeted me...why shouldn't *I* have a cheerful arrival? I'm the one paying the bills! ;)

So, our architect asked lots of questions about what WE want the "guest arrival" and "family arrival" experience to be in our new house, and the resulting floor plan has everyone entering into the same foyer, with benches, shoe cubbies, hooks, and a coat closet. We'll park in a detached garage and take a few steps on a covered walk-way before entering our front door. Guests will park right in front of the garage and follow basically the same path to enter the home.

But that might not be the best solution for you. The point is -- you bring the problems and desired "experiences" to the architects and ask them to creatively solve them by designing the space. That's their job!

• Related Discussions

width of driveway space for side entry garage

Q

Comments (7)
    I hadn't asked if you are in a subdivision with regulations. Most municipalities allow a 10' width for the driveway itself and 24' for the garage approach on a 2 car side entry garage. They allow wider for 3+ car garages. We have a 3 car garage and my DH cannot pull his large truck into the garage without pulling up and then backing up to get into his space. I like enough of a turning radius that I can get into the garage with one turn only. The 30' is what our architect and landscape engineer recommended. My DH would have liked it a little wider (but we have plenty of land).
    ...See More

Help! House plan seems not right.... please critique

Q

Comments (24)
    The simplicity of the plan is not its downfall. While it has flaws, it lacks the flaws of your typical mcmansion. Which have become so common, it seems their absence is now perceived a flaw by some. Tack on this, that and the other, go four rooms deep, disregard that a house needs a roof, have five living spaces in a four person household, a double height foyer, a dome somewhere ill fitting, disregard all need and build with the trend. oh and a faux dormer and small shutters nailed down. The plan is not for everyone, and needs work. But aspects of it are quite suitable for some owners. If you don't want a lot of separation between public and private spaces, & want to hear what's going on at one end from the other, for instance, that aspect is fine. The question is whether that's what op wants, but it in itself is not a flaw. the kitchen definitely needs work. and assuming there is some level of interest or potential to the garden, a better link to the indoors is needed. but the general idea isn't too bad.
    ...See More

main entrance on the side of the house can I put the door in the front

Q

Comments (11)
    Can you draw a sketch of the layout? I'm not sure I understand when you say you want to move the front door to the front so you enter into the sunroom, but can't because the sunroom opens to another room. Or, are you thinking that you want to enclose the front door stoop, and move the front door out into that enclosure to face front instead of driveway? Your issue there would be zoning, if that kind of enclosed space is too close to the property line.
    ...See More

Zero Curb appeal from street - Side door entry to house

Q

Comments (8)
    An overall cleanup is in order first. I’d remove all plants/weeds/shrubs next to the house shown in these 2 pictures. And all the stuff on and around the steps by the yellow inset door. Then assess. I don’t understand what you said about the front door - the yellow inset door is not the front door? (By the way, that yellow-painted inset looks really odd, at least in these pictures. I’d paint it the same color as the rest of the house.)
    ...See More
  • Oaktown
    8 years ago

We also use the front door for our family entrance. The mudroom/shoe room/cloakroom/whatever-you-want-to-call-it is right off the entry room/foyer/whatever-you-want-to-call-it.

• Kim Le
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for your replies. cpartist, are you referring to this image?

If not, I will have to check the book out of the Library again and see the plan that you are referring to. I read the entire book in an afternoon. It was a great read. I took notes and agree with much of what she wrote. I wanted a mudroom like the one above, but it is not ideal for our situation now. arialvetica, I am with you on this. We are working with an architect with over 40+ years of experience. However, he does not creatively come up with solutions. He looks to us to tell him what we want. We do, but there is not that partnership of ideas where he helps us determine solutions. That is one part I do not enjoy about our working relationship. He is very well experienced with homes, structures, requirements, but not with creative solutions. We want to have a small home, but it has grown too large. Thanks Oaktown. The problem is if we remove the front door that faces the street (think center entrance), then we would like one that is prominent on the driveway side, somewhat slanted/angled toward the driveway (right side looking at the house from the street) to greet guests. I do not like homes that have two front doors. I feel confused, as a guest, as to which door to enter through. We have to have an attached garage, so the placement of the entrance is tricky. If you happen to think of any ideas, feel free to send them our way! :)

• Kim Le
    Original Author
    8 years ago

arialvetica, yes, all of our guests are treated like "mi casa es su casa." We do not formally entertain. When we have family or friends over, it is over 20 people every time. We need shoe space! :)

• arialvetica
    8 years ago

I'm a "mi casa es su casa" kind of entertainer too. I don't mind people seeing evidence that my family owns shoes, but I don't want anyone tripping over them! :)

This is similar to what I've asked our cabinet guy to draw up.

I'm not doing the upper cubbies (they're wasted on us, we prefer to have everything on hooks -- for smaller items like mittens, I hang bags from the hooks). I also am not dividing it into "lockers" -- all they do is limit where you can/can't sit. There's no functional purpose to them.

BUT what I love in the white bench is the spacing between shoe shelves, and in the wood picture I love that the trays roll out. You could do standard drawers, but I know that we're more likely to use them if we don't have to open a drawer (man we sound SO LAZY!), and can just shove today's shoes in the slot at the front, and keep our lesser-worn shoes in the back of the tray.

If I were having a big party, I would probably move my family's shoes to the closet (yes, probably jumbled in a heap in a box on the floor...) to make room for guest shoes! ;)

Sears Road · More Info

Troy · More Info

• cpartist
    8 years ago

He looks to us to tell him what we want. We do, but there is not that partnership of ideas where he helps us determine solutions. That is one part I do not enjoy about our working relationship. He is very well experienced with homes, structures, requirements, but not with creative solutions

Are you sure the person you are working with is a LICENSED architect and not a draftsman/designer?

I say that as someone who I even had to show with my own home how I could eliminate a bedroom and still have it be structurally sound so I know from draftsman.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Regarding what you posted, I am thinking of one where the garage led into the mudroom, and then the mudroom opened into the front hall/foyer area. I own the book but it's up in NY and I'm in FL for the winter or I'd look it up for you.

• Oaktown
    8 years ago

Does your front door have to face the street? Or can you treat the driveway like a street?

San Juan Passage: Exterior · More Info

Or you can have a walkway from the street to a front porch even if you have the front door facing the side.

Calistoga Farm House · More Info

Even if you need a front door on the street, it needn't be centered, it could be positioned so as to have an adjacent mudroom shared with the garage entry, or accommodate a second entry on the side.

Craftsman exterior · More Info

High Street front · More Info

On the topic of mudroom shoe storage I highly recommend the IKEA shallow PAX units (not the deep ones) with the Komplement shelves. The shelves are metal, angled with a front lip, removable for easy cleaning. The units are very easy to customize -- as the kids get older we'll move the hook/rod thingies higher and add more shoe shelves. We have our bench opposite.

• autumn.4
    8 years ago

For a while we were looking at a plan that had a similar set up. Here is the layout showing an idea as food for thought. I'd have wanted to make more room if used for home and guests but it looks pretty efficient. We have open hooks like arialvetica shows and wouldn't change a thing. So nice for sitting if you need to vs. having lockers with full partitions and/or doors.

• Kim Le
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Yes, our current architect is a licensed architect, not a draftsman. We just located another architect that may be able to really help us with the space planning and design. We are meeting with his team tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. This will be architect number 3! I am not willing to build a house that I do not love, or that is too big! Autumn, that is a very nice house plan. Good use of space. Cpartist, I did go to the library and quickly looked through Sarah's books. Nothing really stood out to me regarding the plans. I have read two of her books front to back, but the one with the house plans, I just skimmed. Arial, yes I love cubbies! We have the locker system at our current home too We did a full bench, with the divider set toward the wall so we could sit without interruption. We also have drawers, but closed in front. The shoe problem is when the 20+ people come through the front door. In our foyer, we have no place for them. People are stepping over the shoes to get through the door. I find it annoying. Oaktown, we live in a suburban area on a somewhat small residential road. Our house would have to be toward the road to really fit in. We do not have sidewalks or anything like that around here. But, your idea of having an offset front door, closer to the garage may work. I will update you after our consult meeting tomorrow! Hoping for a good meeting!

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Oh so glad the new meeting went well for you. Like you said, you want to get something you love. Best of luck.

• User
    8 years ago

What a great feeling kymberie. It sounds like you are on the right path. Now to patiently wait for the line drawings - hard to do!

• Kim Le
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Everyone! We have been working on our plan with our architect, but it still bugs me that we have to have wasted space at the front door. We don't really have people enter our front door unless we are having a gathering. I just posted earlier today about our most current house plans, see my post in the stream requesting reviews. However, going back over my files today, I came across this picture. This is a hodge-podge of features that we like. I still am holding out that we can make it work in some fashion. I really do not want to pay for a large home, nor do I want to clean it. :) Looking at this image, I would make the most interior Family or Dining Room the actual Family Room and the exterior room at the back of the kitchen the Dining Room. The actual Den on the picture I was hoping could be a scissored stair and the room to the right, near the stairs, just off the foyer could be the Den. The actual stairs on this picture could be a hidden pantry entered from the kitchen. We would have a door from the back yard into the mudroom near the half-bath that is on the picture. Have I lost my mind? I really want a well-designed plan and I keep second-guessing myself!! I like the kitchen and master bathroom that I have in my most recent plan. See here. However, I am not unwilling to listen to suggestions. I am a planner by nature and I like to know where everything will be before executing my plan. By that, I mean even the kitty litter and dog/cat food and bowls! :) I have even planned out my kitchen in terms of storage of items in what drawers/cabinets. Please help me if you can! :)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

You're going to haul all the laundry from your children downstairs and through your bedroom to the laundry room? NOT a good plan! Perhaps you have a small stacking unit for you and your husband off your closet and a 2nd full-size laundry room on the 2nd floor where you children are?

• Kim Le
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No, the kids will have their own laundry upstairs.

• mrspete
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I totally don't get the point in a "friend's entrance". Who else are you letting into your house? Instead, I think it makes sense to design one entrance that fulfills all your entrance purposes -- yes, Sarah Susanka shows several of these in her books, and it's a very practical idea. My personal favorite is the one that includes a pass-through between the entryway and the kitchen counter so you can "drop off" groceries as you walk in.

Looking at the last plan you posted, hearing you say that you still think you're "wasting space" by the front door (not much), I wonder if you could push the office (office?) to the back and bring the garage entrance to the front. Something like this, though I've depicted it horribly -- the office would still have space for a small window towards the back of the house, and your garage entrance would feel more like it's a part of the house's main foyer. You'd have space for coat storage and drop-things-space, yet it'd be part of the foyer hall.

Another big thought that hasn't been discussed: Parking.

Parking is integral to this whole thought process. Will your guests park at the back and enter with no view of the front of the house at all? I wouldn't do that personally. I'd lean towards a circular drive for a house like this, but then that would bring people in the front door. You have loads of options, but just don't treat parking as an afterthought.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    7 years ago

I have several friends that let me use their front door.

• Kim Le
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

MrsPete, we do not need a friend's entrance, but we do need a backyard entrance into the mudroom. With our fur-kid, we need a place to wipe him off without entering through the rest of the house. In addition, we have two great kids that love to dig, explore, build and just live outdoors. We need a place to take off the dirty clothes and shoes. We would like to start a small farm too, so we are anticipating lots of mud and muck! I cannot wait!!! :)

I think you do have a point that the parking just doesn't feel right. I would love a courtyard driveway, but again, not working with the people that we have hired...I guess we are limited in our own thoughts and they do not really provide solutions to our design challenges. :(

Edited to add, maybe I need to flip the house so that the driveway/garage is on the left.