SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Do you have a silver tea set?

IdaClaire
8 years ago

Or are these things now considered "relics of the past" by most? (Yeah, probably.) That said, I have stumbled across one that I am absolutely in love with. It speaks to my love of afternoon tea (in England!) and daffodils - my favorite flower. It's from the 1940s and to me, it's one of the prettiest I've seen. I am so very, very tempted ... but in all honesty, I would probably very rarely use it. It would require regular polishing. I'm not so sure it would "go" with the rest of my décor (although my decorating personality is split in a number of different ways, so maybe it would). I would probably display it on my round, tall living room coffee table with the barley twist legs. It would just sit there looking pretty. But isn't that enough? To have something that delights your eye each time you look at it?

If you do have a silver tea set, how do you display it, and how often do you actually use it?

Comments (109)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

I have enjoyed seeing everyone's tea sets, and reading the stories behind them.

I have a pretty, simple, silver-plate set and several other pieces I keep in the DR hutch with my china, which includes a coffee pot and a tea pot I've never used for serving. The silver pieces were all eBay and flea market finds, but I'd love to have heirloom sterling. I do have a pair of weighted sterling candlesticks I found on eBay. They were advertised as plate, but I suspected they were sterling, so I took a chance. Three years ago I gave my mother a collected silver-plated tea set for Christmas--I gave her the water pitcher another time, with a bouquet of roses arranged in it.

Over several year's time I've collected sets of vintage flatware for myself, and for each of my children. The pattern I gave my son and DIL is 'Grosvenor', which has many matching hollow-ware pieces, so I've collected those as well.

I found this little set at a yard sale last summer, for $1.00:

It's sitting on a thrifted charger(?), beside a 16oz. water bottle, for scale. All my other pieces are badly in need of polishing.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Mama Goose, that is a great find. Most of my silver is antique store, family pieces, or eBay.

• Related Discussions

New To Silver - How/Where To Find A Tea Set

Q

Comments (2)
    You can also find many tea/coffee sets on this site, you just need to check in everyday. Here's one I found today... Here is a link that might be useful: here
    ...See More

Sheffield style Silver on Copper Tea set markings

Q

Comments (17)
    I have tea set - coffee pot on cradle, another coffee pot, one tea pot, sugar & creamer, plus large tray. On the bottom the hallmarks are crown, S, shield, silver over copper. I think my mother got this in the 1950 in Texas. Could you please let me know the marker and approximately the value of this set. It is in excellent condition. Thank you M. Hanson
    ...See More

silver tea set question...

Q

Comments (20)
    I want to second lindac's advice. I have lots and lots of silver; I grew up with it, and learned from my mother and grandmother how to take care of it. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT use the salt/soda method, or any sort of dip like Tarnex. DON'T use any kind of laquer or coating. And it is best not to store it in plastic, because moisture is its enemy. The least labor intensive method that is also good for the silver is not to do anything but wash it thoroughly with Wright's Silver Cream (it comes with a little sponge in it). If it's heavily tarnished, it may take some patience the first time. Wear rubber gloves, as the chemicals are a little hard on the hands. Use hot water to rinse, and dry it thoroughly with cotton or linen towels before you put it away. Remember that silver is very soft, and will scratch if you use anything abrasive on it, so use only soft sponges and soft cloths...most paper towels are too rough. If you have ornate decoration in high relief with lots of nooks and crannies, you can use a very soft toothbrush (I use the ones made for little children) and scrub gently around the elaborate bits...but you want to leave some of the tarnish deep in the pattern. That's what gives it definition and life. Silver is meant to be seen, and you just have to take a deep breath and be willing to take care of it! Once you get in the habit, it's no trouble at all, and it will reward you with its beauty.
    ...See More

Childs Silver Tea Sets

Q

Comments (21)
    Finally finished! The sugar,creamer,and tray need a spray sealer on it..but I got it done:) I'm working on another set I've spray painted pink(child sized) and I have a full sized one to mosaic,and maybe another set. I found a silver plate small tea pot,but it says james W Tufts...and he died in 1902...however,this pot is mostly ruined from sitting in flood salt water. The inside has peeled and chipped off.. I'm debating whether to mosaic it, or see if it's worth anything and can be re-plated by someone??
    ...See More
  • User
    8 years ago

Bpathome, when serving tea to a crowd, one first brews really, really strong, concentrated tea and that goes in the teapot. Then hot water is kept in another serving piece that can be kept warmer. You add concentrated tea to the cup, then fill with hot water from the other pot. It's easier to replenish hot water than brew more tea, and the concentrated stuff can be made well ahead of time. Of course, now with insulated carafes and specialty teas, the process is different. The last time I was at a tea, we were offered our choice of lovely teas in cloth bags from a silver basket, then hot water was poured into our cups and we brewed our own. The emphasis was on the tea itself, whereas in the past the tea was just a beverage :-)

• bpath
    8 years ago

Thanks, Kwsl! My DFIL would brew their nightly tea that way: heat the pot with hot water, pour it out. Add the tea and a little water from the kettle to make the concentrate, then more water from the kettle to make the pot. It was good!

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I see you are already familiar with the process :-)

A restaurant we love in Florida used the same principle with coffee. They imported liquid, concentrated coffee from Germany (the owners were German) and just mixed it with hot water in pots. It was absolutely delicious, and when I once asked them what type of coffee they used they told me about the concentrate. I was very surprised---and of course that was years before the whole starbucks coffee thing.

• homechef59
    8 years ago

tishtoshnm,

There is an excellent possibility that you are not missing the lid for the sugar bowl. Rather, that bowl may be a waste bowl and never came with a lid in the first place. It's meant to receive tea leaves and water when you warm the cups. Not all sets came with a waste bowl. And, not all sets came with a creamer and sugar. So, you may not be missing anything.

• User
    8 years ago

Well, the English pretty much dragged everything they loved and held dear with them, wherever they went. Which, very much, included the proper silver tea service.

Course, they brought all manner of British things with them, they wanted their luxuries no matter where they were! At war or even on the battlefield!

Campaign furniture style anyone?

• happy2b…gw
    8 years ago

Beautiful set and looks right at home on your dining room table.

IdaClaire thanked happy2b…gw
  • dees_1
    8 years ago

Love it!!!!

IdaClaire thanked dees_1
  • bpath
    8 years ago

Oh, that IS lovely in person. Is this your everyday dining area? What do you do with the set a mealtime, leave it there? Or set it aside?

IdaClaire thanked bpath
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We usually eat at the island in the kitchen, just to the left of the dining space. Will just move the tea set to the coffee table when we need to use the dining table. It looks good there too. :-)

I almost hate to admit that the most use the dining table gets is when DH folds laundry there! For some reason, that's his favorite place to do that.

• lizbeth-gardener
    8 years ago

That is a lovely set! I especially like the soft squareness of the tops-different then most. I also think it looks great on your dining room table.

IdaClaire thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • User
    8 years ago

It is a lovely service and you will get as much pleasure looking at it as using it!

IdaClaire thanked User
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

The Golden Cove is a wonderful choice--very Art Deco, with similarly flowing lines. I have to smile at the image of your DH folding laundry next to the fancy silver tea set. ;)

IdaClaire thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • powermuffin
    8 years ago

Love these sets. Jen, you will have a great time using your service for tea. My daughters-in-law love going to tea. We have gone to the Brown Palace in Denver multiple times and have had tea at our individual homes as well. My three buddies and I also get together for tea frequently.

Something about the elegance and serene quality of tea time is very special. We all love baking tea treats and each has her own specialty to share. It is such a girly time and it is great fun!

Diane

IdaClaire thanked powermuffin
  • patty Vinson
    8 years ago

It's so pretty Jen! I like the subtle difference of the teapot, as well as the sugar bowl being slightly squareish, yet the feet tie the set together. All these rainy days are perfect for tea! ;)

IdaClaire thanked patty Vinson
  • Fun2BHere
    8 years ago

Nice!

IdaClaire thanked Fun2BHere
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

It looks smashing on the dining table, and for some reason does not at all look odd with the native Indian pieces. What an elegant addition to your home.

IdaClaire thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much, kind folks! :-)

Ingrid, I don't think it looks odd with the N.A. pieces either; in fact, the combination reminds me of places I've visited in Santa Fe that were a lovely mix of English or continental pieces with tribal art. Of course, my take on the look is not nearly as sophisticated as a place such as this (La Fonda Santa Fe), but I draw a tremendous amount of inspiration from photos like this one.

• cacocobird
    8 years ago

it's beautiful, and looks great on your dining room table.

IdaClaire thanked cacocobird
  • Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

It's even more beautiful than I imagined!

IdaClaire thanked Holly- Kay
  • suero
    8 years ago

All I want is a proper cup of coffee,
    Made in a proper copper coffee pot.
    You can believe it or not,
    But I want a cup of coffee
    In a proper coffee pot.
    Tin coffee pots
    And iron coffee pots,
    They’re no use to me.
    If i can’t have a proper cup of coffee
    In a proper copper coffee pot,
    I’ll have a cup of tea.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Love that, Sue!

And then there's this ... Pretty opinionated, no? ;-)

George Orwell on tea

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Such lovely tea services, everyone.

If you don't already know, best way to polish heavily chased silver:

http://betsyspeert.blogspot.com/2012/12/betsys-science-experiment.html

• sasandfat
    8 years ago

Very lovely lines on your tea set Jen!

IdaClaire thanked sasandfat
  • bpath
    8 years ago

Suero, love that song!

• nutsaboutplants
    8 years ago

Love seeing all the beautiful pieces!

I am m from India and have a few dozen pure silver pieces from both my family and my husband's family like plates, bowls, cups, lamps, "tumblers," and many other pieces whose shapes and functions may not be familiar to people from other cultures -- a huge piece rarely used these days whose function is essentially that of a thermos, with two tumblers that fit inside and a threaded lid that closes tight over the main piece; a baby rattle; a sippy cup for toddlers; a piece whose function in the old days used to be to administer liquid medicine to babies; and numerous others that I cannot describe meaningfully. Most of them are in the top two shelves of a china cabinet. Others are packed away. Most of these pieces were used regularly in both households. As the youngest in the family, I was the last one to use the sippy cup, rattle, child's dinner plate, etc. My mother died when I was ten and my father died 20 years ago. The pieces from my family take me back to my childhood. My MIL and my FIL, who were a second set of parents to me, died in the last 4 years and I cherish the pieces from them. I'm quite the sentimental type and have preserved everything I have received from them, regardless of their value. They're all crowded and you can't see the individual pieces sufficiently clearly to make out their shape or function, but here are some pics I just took today.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

Writersblock, using that method to remove tarnish will also remove any patina which makes old silver so beautiful. I would never use it on my sterling pieces or flatware-it ends up looking more like stainless than silver!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

As fori and cyn427 mentioned, if you have vintage silver or silverplate, and you want to keep it's patina, please don't use the baking soda and aluminum foil method. The silverplate in the betsyspeert link appears to be Deauville, a lovely Art Deco pattern (of which I have a few pieces, and which would look great with TR's Golden Cove china, BTW), but even though the cleaned pieces in the pictures are gleaming, the beautiful patina has been completely stripped from the design. Most designs were purposely 'tarnished' during manufacture, so that the designs have depth, but the chemical reaction that takes place with the baking soda bath removes the good tarnish along with the bad. Polishing with a cloth removes the surface tarnish, but leaves the tarnish in the grooves of the designs, making them stand out. What Deauville should look like.

Also, never use rubber bands, plastic wrap, or chlorine bleach on silver. Rubber bands can stain or corrode the silver, eventually completely removing the plating wherever they contact the silver. Plastic wrap can stain the silver, and over time can adhere to it, making removal very difficult. Chlorine bleach can dissolve silverplate, and make both plating and sterling look white and flat, or 'sick.'

Tips on safe cleaning and storing of silver.

Another source on cleaning and storing silver.

This concludes my silver PSA. ;)

IdaClaire thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • bpath
    8 years ago

Nutsaboutplants, what a glorious collection; I hope you will continue to use them!

I just added a little springtime to my set with a couple of new bunnies. They are just resin or something painted silver, but I thought they're cute. The back one seems to be the best fit, I may take the front two back.

• ghostlyvision
    8 years ago

Jen, if I were you I might start searching CL for a small antique tea cart to put diagonally in the dining room corner as a permanent place for your lovely tea set (not that it doesn't look nice on your table but it's special enough to warrant its own 'home').

IdaClaire thanked ghostlyvision
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Yes, if you want to keep patina you shouldn't use the tinfoil cleaning method, but it sure works well for old silver plate that has oxidized to the point where you'd be down to the base metal before you got it looking silvery again with any kind of rubbing polish. Sometimes I've seen pieces so bad that no amount of hand polishing could restore them, and for those it can be worth starting with a clean slate and building up the patina from scratch again.

BTW, we ate with sterling every night, mom always threw it in the DW so it never had any patina at all, but I don't think anyone would ever have mistaken it for stainless. The people who eventually stole it surely weren't deceived.

• nutsaboutplants
    8 years ago

Thanks Bpathome! Love your bunnies. Unfortunately, I don't use the silver much. When my son was little, I had used some of the baby/toddler things, but that's about it. Using silver plates, bowls, cups and utensils is supposed to have some health benefits. I keep thinking I should use at least the cups, plates and tumblers but our life is not organized enough to take the trouble to do that.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I appreciate all the info on cleaning methods shared here. I intend to go over my set lightly with a cloth every week and hope that will keep it looking nice. There's something quite meditative about giving something a soft polish, I think.

Such gorgeous pieces shared in this thread. And that Deauville? I'm in love.

• DYH
    8 years ago

I love all of these tea sets!

And, TurquoiseRose -- yours looks beautiful on your dining table.

I don't have the standard silver tea set. I had a Moroccan that I bought in the pre-Sahara when my son was four. I gave it to him to keep polished!

I have a white ironstone tea service, though the pot, sugar and creamer are in my china cabinet right now. I've still not unpacked the cups and saucers. When I do, I'll put the grouping on the black sideboard for the contrast.

IdaClaire thanked DYH
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

I mentioned on the china cabinet thread that I've been inspired to polish my hollow-ware and take a picture of the china hutch. My tea set is a Melford pattern--I know the number, but I don't know if it has a name.

With the meat platter and a matching serving bowl partially in the pic:

As it's usually displayed in the hutch, with my Noritake 'Heather' china. The sterling candlesticks are sitting on the table in the foreground:

• always1stepbehind
    8 years ago

Oh I was hoping you had updated with your tea set....It looks great on our table.

IdaClaire thanked always1stepbehind
  • PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

It would just sit there looking pretty. But isn't that enough? YES

To have something that delights your eye each time you look at it? YES

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Yes, I agree about the baking soda method but it does have it's place. I use Weiman Royal Sterling Silver Polish. This allows the patina in the chased areas. My most beloved patter is Gorham Buttercup. When I purchased some fill in pieces they were so heavily polished that the patina was totally erased. I was heartsick and so anxious for them to get heavily tarnished enough to bring back the patina.

I have a sterling baby cup that was so heavily tarnished that Weiman's wasn't making a dent in it. I used the baking soda method and after about half an hour it looked gorgeous.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

pretty set, tr!!

i have a set similar to kswl's that was given to us for our wedding, but the tray handle was broken in a move several yrs ago and the pots were ornate and i absolutely hated trying to polish the ornate areas, so they are packed away... i do have a lot of old silver tho and will try the baking soda and aluminum foil trick! sounds great! i like some tarnish on some of it, but some of it just looks bad!

kswl, i never knew that was the purpose of the two pots!! i always thought the larger one was for coffee, but it makes more sense that both would be for tea!

even tho i displayed the set for years, i never used it for actual tea-- for some reason, the thought of having tea sit in the metal pots didn't appeal to me...

IdaClaire thanked busybee3
  • Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Thank you all for the inspiration! Time to finish sorting through the last of the move items and get our tea set back out, where we can enjoy it : )

• lam702
    8 years ago

Do I have a silver tea set? Boy do I ever! Silver plate, not silver, a whole, big box of silver plate, tea set, candlesticks, covered serving dishes, trays, gravy boats, vases, sugar/creamer set, napkin holder, etc..........you name it, I have it! God rest my sainted mother, she had so much of that stuff, as did most of the ladies of her generation. My sisters and I have each chosen one or 2 items to keep for sentimental reasons, but the rest of it, I don't know what to do with it, you can't even give it away. I guess nobody wants to polish silver anymore.

• cacocobird
    8 years ago

Trudy -- those are beautiful.

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

My parents had an old silver tea set. It was pretty neat. I'm guessing they sold it when they downsized to an apartment late 90's.

• Tina Jaglowicz
    7 years ago

I received a gorgeous Grand Baroque by Wallace sterling tea set as an heirloom. I want to display it, however, I am worried of it tarnishing. How do I go about that, while keeping it air tight????

• Olychick
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I don't know what you mean about keeping it air tight? I would guess if it's an heirloom piece that it's tarnished and been polished many, many times. Use it, display it and polish it when needed. I think polishing silver is one of the most satisfying domestic tasks. I love the feel of the silver, as well as the look, of course, the smell of the silver polish and the resulting silver sparkling in all its glory...it's just kind of a zen activity to me. So maybe you can learn to love polishing your set when it gets tarnished.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

When I was married for the first time 50 years ago, my father's brothers and sisters (I think there were 5-6 still living at that time) gave me a silver tea service. They asked to me choose the one I wanted and I choose Reed & Barton's Winthrop Hand Chased. It is silver plate, not sterling. They were unhappy I got plate - hard to tell them the check needed to be WAY bigger for sterling!

It's lived first on a Victorian chest and then on two different side boards for 50 years. My previous side board, though not as fine as my present one, was a better size for a set that is so large - that tray is HUGE! If I were choosing today, I'd choose antique silver-plate and a more classic, plainer style. But I love it and I love that they gave it to me, so it stays on my small sideboard. Here it is decorated for Thanksgiving a few years ago.

At the moment, it needs polishing - yard man's doing a major silver polish next Sat!

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21