SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coops905

Moveable privacy wall in yard ideas

8 years ago

We're in a small urban townhouse. Our backyard is 15 wide by 30 feet deep. We have a full wall of sliding doors across the back of our house that will open to a small deck. The deck will be as large as it can be: that is, 15 feet wide by 10 feet deep. The 20 feet immediately behind the deck needs to be reserved for where we park our car. The deck will be a couple inches below the floor level of our house (approximately 2 feet off the ground), with the goal that it will feel like a continuation of the house.

We plan to include a privacy wall between the deck and the parking area, so we don't have to look at our car all the time. Our style is modern, so I'm thinking horizontal planks. Probably 4 feet high, and 9 feet across - with gaps on either side of the wall to walk down to the car. However, in an ideal world, I could take out the privacy wall as needed so we can open up the backyard. It's easy to put our car on the street as needed - like when I want my 4 year old to play in the backyard or if we have a summer party with lots of friends over. So it would be great to remove the wall in those occasions to be able to use all 15x30 feet of the yard.

So far, I've thought of privacy wall panels that have legs that slot into holes cut into the deck. So they would be firmly planted into the deck when needed, but my husband and I could slide them up and out, and put them to the side when we want to open up the whole yard.

I thought of hinging the panels on gate hinges - but that wouldn't work because they would be in the middle of the yard - nowhere to swing out of the way. Also, I've seen movable outdoor panels online, but they look too prefab for my liking, plus I'd worry that someone would lean against them and fall off the edge of the deck.

Any other great ideas? (I cross posted to Patios and Decks, but that board doesn't have much activity)

Comment (1)