SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_31001983

ID Pothos-type species, possible root rot?

User
8 years ago

I found this hardy fellow in the living room of my boyfriend's
parent's house and every time I saw it, a leaf would curl up into itself
and go missing the next day. It wasn't until last night I went up to it to investigate did I
notice the leaves were actually dead. I gently removed all four and was
left with how many you see in the picture above. Regardless, oddly very healthy-looking in my opinion.
However, when I took a closer look, it was in a
pot too small and its roots were sticking out through the drainage holes about an inch+, soaking wet, dripping with water. I worried if there might be root rot (not entirely sure what root rot looks like, however): the father of the house kept watering it every single day, poor thing. When I removed it from its small plastic prison,
the soil was choked with thick white roots that smelled odd - can't describe it. Not very pleasant but the roots were firm. I didn't really think, just put it into a new much larger pot (as seen in pictures) but now I'm thinking that I should have let it dry out, roots exposed and maybe clean off all the old soil and replace it in the new pot. Would that be a good idea? I also noticed that in its previous home, it stood up but now it's fallen over. I tried standing it back up again but it seems to want to be like this so it gave me the idea it might be just some kind of falling plant? A vine- or ivy-type? Small Pothos? Unsure.

These brown stems appear to be keeping the plant stable and up-right but I'm not sure if they're good or not.

I would show the roots but I'm afraid of removing it from its new pot so soon. Might stress it out more than it already is.

Comments (9)