SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

Kijiji/Craigslist is a pain

Jasdip
8 years ago

I'm trying to help a friend sell some furniture. It's a teak buffet and hutch. He doesn't know how to do Kijiji, etc. So I took the pictures, posted it and the emails come to me.

I use Kijiji regularly, and have good success selling both small and large items, but people always want to offer too low of a price.

There's a fair bit of interest in the buffet/hutch, but some offer a cheaper price because they have to pay a driver to pick it up. When I asked if they lived in town, as we could deliver, they live 2 hours away. Well, it's not my problem that you want something, and offer a cheaper price to cover the delivery.

Someone else can only pick it up during the day, because she doesn't like driving on the highway at nite (again, 2 hours away). Never mind that my friend works during the day.

This is more pain than it's worth, even though teak still seems to be popular.

Comments (29)

• jewelisfabulous
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I find the same flaky buyers are on every type of buy/sell site.

I had one that first wanted me to hold the item for a week until she could pick it up. Because I had no other interest in the item, I agreed. On the appointed day, she didn't show and didn't communicate. When I reached out to her, she said she "doesn't drive in the rain or at night". When I pointed out that it wasn't raining or night time on the scheduled pick-up date/time, she went ballistic at how I was being unreasonable expecting her to pick the item up as it was only a $15 thing anyway. I responded that, whether $15, $150, or $1500, the site rules state that a commitment to buy is a commitment to buy. I then reported her antics to the moderator and had her kicked off the site.

I had another buyer just this week that literally lives down the street from me. Besides her seeming ability to start a private message conversation asking for details to finalize pick-up arrangements, she couldn't seem to ever respond back to my messages giving her options on pick-up. It took her a full week to finally get the item which was puzzling because she could have come at any time given it was a porch pick-up. Again, this was an item with a limited buying pool, so I was willing to put up with the disorganization.

For "hot" items though, I'm polite but ruthless with people who want special treatment or want to low ball. My go-to phrase is, "There's too much interest in this item to accept your (discounted offer, to hold the item for you, to deliver the item to you......or whatever)."

• Related Discussions

KTers, what are you selling on eBay/Craigslist?

Q

Comments (27)
    People love to tell horror stories, Lily, but there are plenty of happy stories you probably haven't heard. Ten years ago my son was selling the occasional piece of ham radio equipment on eBay, and I asked him to list some of his father's chemical engineering books for me. He said no, he wanted me to learn to sell on eBay myself because i would love it. I was resistant, but he was right--all it took was one good sale for me to love it. Like most of us, I just had to get over the hump of that first listing. It seems intimidating, but eBay wants sellers and they make it easy. As for the horror stories, I have none to tell. When you set up a Paypal account they'll ask to access your bank account. It's a simple matter to open a new checking account (usually free) just for Paypal, keeping a low balance on the very slim chance it could get into the wrong hands. Mine never has more than $300 in it. As for Craigslist, it, too, is easy--plus it's free. Scammers love it but they are usually easy to spot. The Craigslist site issues warnings, spelling out what to look for. A scammer is unlikely describe what you're selling by name; instead, they'll mention your "item." A famous scam offers to pay by Cashier's check. You will quickly get a feel for the authentic email from a real buyer. You don't put your contact information in the ad, unless you want to. I never do. Buyers contact me via an anonymous email address, and I decide which ones I want to respond to. Except for the time I sold a piece of equipment too heavy to move, I meet all my buyers away from my home, at public places. Again, I have no horror stories to report. If you've bought at 40 years worth of auctions, I'll bet you have some stuff collectors would love. You could have a blast doing this, Lily. When you're ready to get started, you can always consult the KT with any questions! :-)
    ...See More

Some competition for my3dogs' Craigslist

Q

Comments (2)
    The downside is for those who sell through the consignment shops. Someone I know has been considering that as a business and told me the commission is 50%. When things are already expected to sell dirt cheap, I can't see paying someone else to do it, losing another 50% on the item.
    ...See More

What's the name of the site like Craigslist....?

Q

Comments (6)
    Red, kijiji has been bought out be ebay in some areas. It's still free like CL though. I tried it and got absolutely nothing from it. I'll stick with CL since all the business I've gotten is from there. I advertise under Creative Services and have had wonderful response.
    ...See More

Do you surf Craigslist furniture? Dangerous....

Q

Comments (12)
    Great buy! I haven't looked on our CL for a while. It usually is disappointing. Rather, a nearby city that's approaching gentrification (getting there, but frankly may not quite reach it) has a few thrift stores with the MOST amazing furniture from old homes where families have lived for generations, it seems, and the youngest have moved and gotten rid of family antiques. The stores are in low-income areas (perceived as unsafe) but I love going in an browsing around. I don't have need for anything just yet, but items have been on my radar.
    ...See More
  • User
    8 years ago

Better yet, if I can't find a home for something via my daughter, I always donate my stuff to the local women's shelter. At least that way I don't have to deal with creeps or flakes and I know the stuff is going to someone who is in a position I was once in and will appreciate the gesture.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LOL, a woman asked if I'd take a quoted price. I agreed, and gave her the address. She wrote back with "excuse me?". I responded and said that I agreed on her offering price, and I gave her the address. She said she didn't say that she wanted, it, just asked if I'd take x number of dollars. I then wrote asking if she made a habit of trolling Kijiji, offering a price but not wanting the item. Of course she accused me of harassing her, and not to bother her again! Too funny!!!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

People are crazy. I know I already "liked" lucille's comment, but I really like the comment. Good way to shut them up. Sure, I'll hold it... for a fee. Made me giggle.

• pekemom
    8 years ago

We've sold items locally on Craigslist, 2 cars and a refrigerator. Also advertised rentals on Craigslist. Never "held" an item for anyone, that can backfire. Always cash only deals.

• marilyn_c
    8 years ago

No matter what I list I get Nigerian (?) scam artists wanting to buy. I put a picture of my rescue horse on it in Knoxsville, because that is where he was from, to see if anyone recognized him....looking for some info, if possible. Not for sale. I get an email from someone wanting to buy him and give me a cashier's check.

• Rudebekia
    8 years ago

I've had pretty good luck on Craigslist with just the occasional flake. What I despise are the people who simply ask, "is it still available?" Even when I always post on the ad, "Please don't ask whether this item is still available. If you are reading this ad, yes, it is still available!" And they still ask. Sigh.

• Amazing Aunt Audrey
    8 years ago

These type items might do better in a resale shop that sells on consignment.

• lucillle
    8 years ago

Cassandra, I'm thinking that when someone asks if 'it' is still available, they are a despicable spammer email collector.

• sylviatexas1
    8 years ago

I've had pretty good luck selling, not so much buying.

It seems like everything is already gone by the time I email!

I *have* had women show up & say they have to make a quick call to their husbands;

it finally dawned on me that they didn't know if the seller was me or a serial killer...but if husband was worried, why didn't he come with wife?

& if seller was a serial killer, would he have allowed the buyer to make a phone call?

Free advice: always insist on cash, no cashier's checks;

printers are so good these days that people can print "cashier's checks" all day long, & there's a long-running scam in which the buyer has a "cashier's check" for more than the amount owed & he wants you to refund him the difference. & so you hand cash to a person who has just given you a fake check.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A classic is when someone comes with a little short of the agreed-upon price, hoping that the buyer will sell it anyway. Most people who respond always low-ball, or try to get it at a lower price. Because of that, I always ask more than I would take, knowing that I'll get lower offers. I'm always impressed when people buy my items without any haggling and pay full price.

I too have sold household furniture, and a drum kit, and small items like blenders etc. Everything is always in cash. I've never been asked to do paypal or a cashiers cheque. Some people prefer to do small transactions at a coffee shop but I can't be bothered. However, because of the huge media coverage of a murder via a Kijiji pickup truck ad, if people are nervous, police stations have agreed to have sellers meet there.

• Rudebekia
    8 years ago

It is true that the majority of people who ask, "is it still available?" never follow up. Still this is a minor complaint. I've sold and bought things very successfully on Craigslist, especially when I downsized quite a bit a few years ago. I'm thankful it exists!

In my neighborhood we have alleys (which I LOVE). If you have some piece of junk that isn't even worthy of selling on Craigslist, just put it next to the garage in the alley and it will be gone in less than a few hours!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

I'm not sure asking if it's still available is a bad thing. You may have posted in the morning and by lunch it's gone, but you haven't had a chance to take it down yet? But it's the other way around for me. I'll say I am very interested, is it still available, and no answer. At all. I find that irritating. So both sides should probably be more patient :)

• lucillle
    8 years ago

I agree, if they are asking if 'the chair' or whatever, is still available. But those fishing for email addresses send out a lot of emails asking if 'it' is still available, they can send that email to everyone.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

That, I understand. Thanks Lucille! I had no idea what others were saying, obviously.

I still don't understand if I say I am very interested, why I don't hear back? But that's probably just where I live. I'll try to be more patient ;)

• pudgeder
    8 years ago

The Sunday before T-giving I "won" an item on a Facebook auction site. We set a date for pick up, and then the weather turned to ice, and I sent a message asking if I could pick up after T-giving. Explained we were out of town and that we were iced in. Offered to pay for it in advance via Paypal. Never heard back from the seller. Presumed all was well.

Get back from our out of town trip, contacted again and said I'd come that Monday. (Monday after T-giving.) Got a curt, "OK." Porch pick up, I got the item and left the funds.

Go to access the group I was in and they had reported me as a "bad buyer,"
    and that got me barred. I was quite taken aback! They'd taken screen shots of where we agreed on pick up, but failed to include the ones where I'd asked for an alternate date. Definitely slanted it to be in their favor.

I'd bought many, many things on that site and never failed to follow through and always communicated! I had to jump through hoops to get reinstated.

But karma is great. Wasn't long before this seller (& his wife--both selling on same site) were banned from that site and about every other one they were on as well.

• chisue
    8 years ago

Is this worth your time -- and having strangers on your property? The little we need to get rid of goes to a charity that comes to get it as scheduled. We take a tax deduction for the small amount it might have brought on a Craigslist-type site.

• phoggie
    8 years ago

I got scammed using Craigslist and will never use it a again. The " seller" was just insisted that I send money via Western Union for a different amount than the price quote and just would not leave me alone...finally told him that any more contact needed to be handled through our police department...then it stopped.

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

To find an apartment/house to rent or to sell something big like a car or similar things, Craigslist is today what newspaper classifieds were yesterday. That's why newspaper classified sections have all but disappeared. Now as then, some precaution (personal and financial) is warranted in dealing with strangers.

Small stuff - what chisue said.

• chisue
    8 years ago

I may soon be advertising our Maui vacation rental condo on Craigslist. Expedia's purchase of VRBO is turning out to be a nightmare.

VRBO was created to put a guest and a landlord in touch directly, eliminating 'the middle man' of a travel agency or a vacation rental agent. Now Expedia won't permit direct payment to the owner. It requires all bookings to go through its bank -- damage insurance too. They are also levying a fee on the guest for making a booking -- up to 10% of the cost of the rental.

• User
    8 years ago

I listed a pasta roller attachment for my Kitchen Aid that I never use. One part used once, the other two never used. Retails for $270, I want $175. Some guy writes and says, "I can do $125". That's nice. I asked for $175 so you'll owe me $50. I didn't say, "175 obo." I had the same problem with a Skype camera for a smart tv. I saw what a used one was going for and offered mine for slightly less and yet people still wanted to pay 1/2 what I was asking for it. Or I'll say, "pick up only" and they still say, "can we meet?" or "can you bring it to me? I don't drive". Not my problem. You want it, come get it. The only time I'll meet if it's in the police station parking lot (it's encouraged in Calgary to makes sales there) if the person buying doesn't feel safe.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Debby I immediately delete any emails that say "I'll offer you $25" on an $80 item that I'm selling. I get a number of those. No, it's not an auction, it's a set price.

• lucillle
    8 years ago

I ignore lowballers. However, haggling can be a cultural thing, the person making a lower offer may expect a counter offer somewhere between the original price and their first offer.

Very few people here, for instance, would walk into a car dealership and pay the sticker price. Reasonable negotiation is expected.

• cynic
    8 years ago

Something used is historically haggling. If you don't make it clear, and more than just the limp term "$X.xx firm.", then you invite haggling so don't get hyped up over it. Same for pick up only since many will meet somewhere means they're willing to drive so again, it's invited. Something used is at best 1/2 price. Plus the buyer assumes the risk that it's stolen or otherwise. When someone demands new or near-new price for something used I laugh at them.

Around here Craigslist uses a remailer so the farming of email addresses is no longer an issue unless you give the address out, which I wouldn't. I will meet people nearby to keep them from going to my house for security reasons. Plus I never just give out my address. I will give them directions to the corner or a fake address that a GPS unit will get them to the corner (2000 This St. and postal code) then WHEN THEY GET THERE, I'll guide them the rest of the way. That filters nearly all of the fakes, flakes and no-shows. I also find out where they're located (general area) so I know how long it will take them to arrive then require they tell me when they leave so I know when to expect them. If they're 15 min late and don't contact me, they're not coming, no more time wasted and I don't leave home.

That's a great idea for the deposit lucillle. And it's not as a joke, it's a good business practice.

Craigslist has become far superior to newspapers for finding many things. I find lawn care, snow plowing/blowing and other things and it's much easier to find someone close-by.

I get frustrated when people post ads to sell things then won't have the courtesy of saying when they're available or anything. Any business would post its hours If you only respond when you feel like it, I don't like dealing with you. You post an ad you should be maintaining that ad ongoing unless you say availability hours and days. That is why people ask if something is available. When they don't reply quickly, I move on.

And if you are buying and selling frequently it's a good idea to buy one of the pens for checking bills. There's a lot of counterfeit in the US anyway. A couple dollars is well-spent, or if it's enough money to be concerned, I'll meet them at the bank, do the transaction inside and immediately change the bills (for example $100s to $20s or vice-versa) to something else, The bank then gets the risk, not me, and they're more likely to be able to tell counterfeit.

When I sold a vehicle we met at City Hall whereupon we transferred the title so it was out of my name and unless they have a good memory they don't have record of my address. And it was a good thing I did that because a month or two later I got a letter from a county that there were unpaid parking tickets and my license was going to be revoked. Called them up and got surrrrrrrrre, you sold it. Sure. Can you PROVE it? I told him D@mn right! Gave the day of transfer and when he checked it out called back and sheepishly said "well, I guess you WERE telling me the truth...."

I learned a long time ago to be cautious. It's hard to trust anyone anymore.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

"I will give them directions to the corner or a fake address that a GPS
    unit will get them to the corner (2000 This St. and postal code) then
    WHEN THEY GET THERE, I'll guide them the rest of the way"

If someone did that to me, I'd turn around and go home after the "when I get there" part. I'd think they were playing some kind of game in which I want no part.

• lucillle
    8 years ago

Something like that happened to me. I bought some parakeets, guy gave me an address. Got there and it wasn't his house, so I called. He showed up a couple minutes later and apologized, saying that he did not want people coming to his family home for parakeets (he raises them).

He was very nice. I would have been fine meeting at a business, without the second step of calling, but it worked out fine.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

I find the meeting at a neutral place far less deceptive than all the mendacity of a fake meeting spot. Couldn't nail it until you said that. You say things in a way I can understand Lucille!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    8 years ago

My very small town has a couple of parking spots right outside the PD set up as an 'Exchange Zone'. Very safe and no one coming to your home.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH