SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chimacalgal

How much care does a stainless sink need?

CJ Mac
8 years ago

We have lived in our house for 9 years and it's probably 12 years old. Our 2-bowl stainless sink (contractor grade, I'm sure) is something we rarely think about and every blue moon when I get out the Bon Ami and polish it, it looks pretty darn good. But we're now getting new countertops and would like a new sink and faucet. Looking at a couple budget sinks at Home Depot by Elkay, this is what their care instructions say:

"• Do...Use only a mild liquid dishwashing detergent with a soft sponge to clean and then thoroughly rinse the sink.

• Do... Rinse thoroughly after each use. “Thorough” rinsing can be done by running water for a few minutes and rubbing the cleaned area with a sponge.

• Do... Towel dry after each use to prevent mineral deposits from building up on the surface of the sink.

Do Not...Allow liquid soap or other household cleansers to dry on the surface of the sink. Most brands contain chemical additives which will affect the original finish.

Do Not...Use solutions of chlorine bleach and water in the sink. Chlorides, which are found in most soaps, detergents, bleaches, and cleansers, are very aggressive to stainless steel. If left on the sink too long they can cause surface pitting.

• Do Not...Use a steel wool pad to clean your sink. Steel wool pads have a tendency to break apart and small particles of steel can become embedded in the surface of the sink. The steel particles will rust and will give the appearance that the sink itself is rusting.

• Do Not...Use abrasive cleansers or abrasive pads as it will scratch the surface.

• Do Not...Leave wet sponges, cloths, or cleaning pads on the sink. This can lead to surface rust.

Following these recommendations for the care and cleaning of your stainless steel sink will insure that it will provide you with many years of service."

Are you kidding me?! That's not the kind of upkeep we want to deal with. We don't need a sparkling jewel in the middle of our kitchen--just a regular ol' stainless sink. So tell me, are all new sinks like this or is it just some that need this much care?

Comments (14)