SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
here2learn_z8

Botrytis Blight in rose

Hi!

I apologize I bought a house in September with some established roses near the front door. I waited in anticipation to find out what the roses would look like (no one on the street nor the sellers seemed to have noticed them) and was delighted to find one produced lots of large coral-pink roses starting late winter that shattered before the flowers got ugly. The other, larger rose seems to have smaller, maroon-ish flowers, it's still waking up so I've only got one flower so far.

So from the first moment I saw the roses, I thought they had pretty bad black spot. I went ahead and planted a Duchess de Brabant on the other side of the front door last fall, having read that the duchess was black spot-resistant. I was hoping I could get a handle on the black spot, but worst case I would remove the old roses and replace them with earth-kind roses. I was annoyed that the duchess was exhibiting black spot symptoms but figured that was due to the upwind roses and would disappear once I got a handle on those. Well, today I was inspecting the plants and noticed little dots all over all of the flowers. This was something I hadn't noticed yet this year so I did some research and realized what I thought was black spot is actually Botrytis blight. I can't find a single cane that doesn't appear to be affected. I'm afraid that it seems to have spread to the Duchess as well. Is the best course of action at this point to remove and dispose of or burn all three plants? I don't want to risk spreading it even further.

Unknown pink rose:

Duchess de Brabant:

Thank you in advance!

Comments (3)