SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chamsou

What are Municipal water pipes made of?

chamsou
8 years ago

About to delve into a water heater relocation project, and have settled on using PEX for plumbing. The house was built in 1955, and I'm fairly certain the majority of the plumbing is galvanized steel, and I am learning that after 60 years, it is on its last legs, and should be replaced.

My question is: If galvanized was used extensively prior to the 1960s, and can't be trusted after half a century, then what about the pipe feeding the house from the city? Surely that must be galvanized as well, and require replacement? But that would mean that the city would need to tear up the water lines for the entire city, right?

Nobody else has really asked this question, as it's obviously beyond the scope of a homeowner, and there's nothing we can do about it, but I was just curious.

Also, to be considered a "full replacement"/"complete upgrade" of galvanized, is it standard practice to replace everything behind the water main/water meter at the street? Digging up driveways, yard, under foundation...that can't be worth it, can it?

Comments (7)