SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mizscarlett2001

"O, wow! O, Wow!"

Beverly Hills
8 years ago

Don't ask me why I still try to watch HGTV, but have you ever noticed...every single person who sees a new house says exactly the same thing, "O Wow, O wow".

I'm pretty bored with almost all the shows, so sometimes I just count how many times they say it. One lady said up to 20 times on the same show.

(I need to get a new hobby.)

Comments (30)

• Fun2BHere
    8 years ago

LOL...all of the shows and all of the comments are so repetitive that I gave up on HGTV a few years ago. "I can't believe it's the same house," says the homeowner. Well, I can't believe it's a different episode.

Beverly Hills thanked Fun2BHere
  • algeasea
    8 years ago

I wonder if the HGTV producers tell everyone, "Whatever you say, don't swear! Just say, Oh, Wow when a bad word threatens."

Beverly Hills thanked algeasea
  • jjam
    8 years ago

DH calls HGTV the "Oh Wow" channel....and if you stop and notice; virtually everyone says it when they see their "reveal".

Beverly Hills thanked jjam
  • bpath
    8 years ago

Were they getting flack because everyone used to say "Oh My God"?

Beverly Hills thanked bpath
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Entertain.

That's the word I'm so sick of hearing on these shows. I now believe that every person on the planet but me entertains on a regularly scheduled basis, and I'm also starting to picture the "entertainment" along the lines of a homemade cabaret.

Beverly Hills thanked User
  • bpath
    8 years ago

On the house-hunting shows, there seems to be emphasis on existing colors and even the furniture. Sell This House especially. Except for the dreaded phrase "open concept", people never seem to comment on arrangement or flow of the rooms, infrastructure, the things that are harder to change.

It's all about what the house looks like, and not enough how you live.

Beverly Hills thanked bpath
  • schoolhouse_gw
    8 years ago

I always have my finger hovering above the mute button while watching these types of HGTV programs. :) Maybe OT, but on the shows where they do rehab and fix-it: I can't STAND the loud rock music that blares in the background or whenever the people stop speaking. Why do they think we want to hear that? I suppose to make the show appear more exciting? Nicole's rehab show is one of the worst in this regard.

Beverly Hills thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • bpath
    8 years ago

Am I just getting old? That music, and car commercial music. Ugh.

• LynnNM
    8 years ago

ROFL, MzGG! And so true! I do enjoy watching Property Brothers and Fixer Upper, but like Schoolhouse, I always have the remote close by to mute when those standard client remarks start up. Thankfully, both their shows seem to have more intelligent clients . . . or they edit out a lot of the trite remarks (LOL). I hardly ever watch shows like Property Virgins, Beachfront Bargains or Love It or List It. I think they win the prize for the worst PIA clients to listen to. I also mute most of what Hilary and David say, as well. Their snarkiness stresses me out to listen to it. The host on Property Virgins, Egypt (what a lovely name), is great but the majority of her clients make me hit the mute most of the time.

Beverly Hills thanked LynnNM
  • msmeow
    8 years ago

Yeah, I think nearly every commercial these days has horrible music. Maybe they are trying to reach a younger audience. :)

I wonder if people are coached to use "Oh, wow!" instead of "Oh, my God!"

Donna

Beverly Hills thanked msmeow
  • User
    8 years ago

TR....yes! If I here "this space is great for entertaining" one more time.....along with no granite, no SS appliances, no double sinks, and open concept.

Just once I would love to hear a couple say they received an inheritance and are now buying their dream home. It's very hard to believe that all these couples with regular jobs or one income can afford million dollar plus homes, especially the younger couples.

I can't watch shows like Entertainment Tonight or Access Hollywood because of the nonstop techno pop music playing in the background. Just don't understand why it's necessary.

• annac54
    8 years ago

"Gee, I don't know if I can live with a kitchen island that's smaller than an aircraft carrier deck"......

DH and I can't believe some of the remarks. I cringe to think what people in other countries think of Americans when they watch this stuff.

Beverly Hills thanked annac54
  • schoolhouse_gw
    8 years ago

elbeeca- that's another good one, about "great entertaining space... ' UGH. And every show ends with the buyers hosting a dinner or drinks with their "new friends".

Oh - gotta go - House Hunters International just came on! LOL. (they are in Italy tonight, biggest reason I watch this show to see the different countries).

Beverly Hills thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • handmethathammer
    8 years ago

I don't have cable, and long ago watched all these shows available on Netflix, probably two to three times. I still can't tell one from another.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

No, it's great!

Great space! Great views! Don't you think what we did here is great? Yes, you made my home look so great with the great counter and the great appliances and the bathroom really looks great.

No, it's grate.

Beverly Hills thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Em11
    8 years ago

On the love it or list it show, most of the time if the people would just clean up, de-clutter, and invest in some REAL furniture instead of cheap, knockdown, small scale, particle board junk that is barely fit for a dorm room, then they'd be happier and more functional in their houses to begin with.

Beverly Hills thanked Em11
  • Beverly Hills
    Original Author
    8 years ago

On Love it or List it, people have a two bedroom house and produce four kids. Then they wonder why the house got so small.

When Hillary redoes the house, where does all their stuff go? You see a new closet with maybe five shirts hanging there, of course it looks more spacious.

• maggiepatty
    8 years ago

The entertaining piece gets me, too. We are not exactly members of the jetset, but we do get invited to people's houses for dinner, cocktails, cookouts, etc., and while some people clearly have homes where it's more convenient for them to seat and feed 30 people, I can't recall a time where I felt alienated from the party because the host did not have a kitchen island or an open-concept home.

If you seat me in your living room and I can't see your kitchen, that's actually okay with me, it doesn't make me feel un-entertained. Likewise, if we are standing in the kitchen and can't see the folks seated around the fireplace in the den, I'll survive. Who goes to a party and wants to talk to/see everyone all at the same time? Are you going to chat or are you about to perform?

Beverly Hills thanked maggiepatty
  • homechef59
    8 years ago

I've done quite a few renovations. I usually spend the bulk of the money on roofing, foundation, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and sewer. Have you noticed that no one else ever seems to need to work on anything that isn't pretty. It's pretty mundane stuff, but a good roof with insulation is kind of important. Keeping water away from the foundation takes priority. I love the people who have lived in a crappy house for thirty years, never made an improvement and suddenly they expect the Taj Mahal. Homeownership takes effort.

While I am at it, on Love It or List It, the renovation improvement result always exceeds cost by $15,000 -- every time, without fail. I wish life worked that way. I've always managed to get most of my money when I sell, but it isn't a certainty.

I have a friend who is a very professional realtor. She says she spends half of her time explaining to prospective buyers that they won't get granite and open concept on their budget. She calls it unrealistic expectations. She would rather deal with the ignorant than the HGTV junkie, especially the HGTV first time buyer.

Beverly Hills thanked homechef59
  • sunfeather
    8 years ago

Many of them say they want to be able to see the children while they are in the kitchen yet they want a playroom. OMG, Holy Smokes, Holy Cow, it looks awesome, it looks incredible. I remember an old Trading Spaces episode where the homeowner walked into the reveal and announced that she hated it and walked into another part of the house. You could hear her sobbing while they talked about the project. I don't know why I keep watching but I do. :-)

Beverly Hills thanked sunfeather
  • User
    8 years ago

Lol, I am really enjoying these responses!

I get tired of hearing "we can make it our own" or "put our own stamp on it." That's what we call painting, furnishing and decorating, right?

The first time sassy buyers (women, embarrassingly) who say coyly to their husbands, "uh un, mister, I am NOT gonna be cooking in a kitchen with Formica counters" or "how do you expect me to cook in THAT" (points to a stove that isn't stainless) make me cringe. The funny thing is that they obviously don't have those things in their current home or rental, either.

And what about the strange couples who look like they'll use the basement to breed snakes, saying "Uh, this would be good for entertaining" when you know damn well they have never had anyone over except---MAYBE---for a meeting of the We Are Weird Club.

i do like Flip or Flop though. Or I did, before someone told Christina she had to say I love,you to her daughter and take her shopping. I think HGTV wanted them to be more like that gushingly fake Texas couple, which is a shame. I kind of liked it when Tarek would whip out a listing and one of them would say "how soon can we drop [child] at the sitter and go?" That seemed so much more realistic to me.

• janiceme
    8 years ago

I always wonder about the rest of the house, especially in Property Brothers where they look at several ridiculously priced dumps and narrow it down to two. Then they choose and spend 100K on a fabulous "open concept" kitchen/living area. What about the rest of the house? We never see the parts that weren't covered in the reno budget, but given the overall appearance of the original property, hard to imagine that there isn't a phase 2 in the wings.

• User
    8 years ago

Agree there must be a phase 2 looming in all those shows.

one major difference in Property Brothers renovation and Fixer Upper is that all the furnishings ARE included in PB and not included in Fixer Upper. It males me wonder about the PB figures because mortgages typically do not cover furnishings. There must be a special HGTV bank loan for those homeowners.

• sas95
    8 years ago

I wonder whether the furniture they use in the Property Brothers reveal actually goes to the homeowners, or whether it is just staged and the furniture leaves with the crew. Because if you have a certain budget for renovation, why would you cut that in favor of having all these rooms fully decorated before you move in?

• nhb22
    8 years ago

And yet we all keep watching the shows! $$$ :)

I got hooked on "Escape to the Country" Youtube episodes after someone on here introduced me the the U.K. show. Fun for a while, but then I started noticing that they almost never pick a home. :(

• User
    8 years ago

I'm another who got hooked on Escape to the Country! In fact, I was just thinking last night I should watch the episodes I haven't seen yet. You're right, though - they often don't select a home. To me, though, that makes it more real!

• Micki-Micki
    8 years ago

From the casting of Property Brothers...

"To be eligible you must:

• Be moving to Westchester, NY or Fairfield, CT.
    • Be 30-40 mins from White Plains, NY.
    • Be buying and renovating a 'fixer-upper'.
    • Be outgoing, energetic, opinionated and fun.
    • Need expert design and construction help.
    • Have a minimum reno & design budget of $100,000+ (depending on scope of work).
    • Be able to make quick decisions in order to keep to tight timelines.
    • Be available for up to 10 weekdays of filming (staggered over 6-7 weeks).
    • Be enthusiastic about working with our experts who have the design and construction know-how to help create your dream home.
    • Note: We will only contact eligible participants.

Benefits of being on the show: $20,000 value towards your renovation. You will be provided with expert design advice, project management, and a completed renovation of 3-4 rooms in 6-7 weeks! Eligible applicants will receive further information on what to expect."

the homeowners do get to keep the furniture. That also explains why there are no tears when something goes wrong - mold, support beams needed, or plumbing issues.

• cacocobird
    8 years ago

Used to love HGTV when there were more decorating shows on. Learned a lot from Chris Madden, The Furniture Show, Candice and Alexandra Stoddard. Now it seems like they are mostly into buying/redoing houses.

• Sandra Shaw
    2 years ago

I mute it.....you would think the producers would try to claim the hunters down!