SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plan2remodel

How to make best use of an interior designer?

plan2remodel
8 years ago

I remodeled my home last year and decided I need to purchase some new furniture for the family room and living room. I have hired a designer to help me in making choices, but we seem to be an impasse.

I liked their initial ideas, but knew that my budget would prevent me from making all the changes they were recommending. I am emotionally attached to some of my existing furniture (sentimental value) and not ready to place my whole household on C.L.

At the start, I told the designer that I was not refurnishing entire rooms, but adding a piece here and there. Now the designer seems annoyed with me for not embracing his concept.

The designer is complaining that I am making too many changes - but I see it as the other way around. For example, after the remodel, I decided to give away my formal dining room set and repurpose the dining room as a library / parlor. The designer proposed that I purchase a new dining room set and accessories from him for that room (cost $10K) and sell or give away the furniture I have in there.

Any suggestions on how to best use their help?

Comments (14)