SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntrainer

Built-In Fridges: KitchenAid KBFN406EPA or Liebherr HCB2062?

Nancy Trainer
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I am struggling to choose between these two built-in refrigerators -- or whether to abandon the entire paneled, fully built-in look and go for a counter-depth refrigerator.

As I see it, the Liebherr is the more stylish choice. It looks truly built-in and hidden with panels, and it feels luxurious on the interior with soft-close doors and clear-bottomed door shelves. But I have three main worries: (1) Given the location of the compressor on the bottom, is this fridge too tall for me? I'm 5'6" and while I can reach the top shelf, this is definitely higher than I'm used to reaching in a fridge. (2) The fact that the shelves can't be adjusted in a "split shelf" way means that there will be more wasted space than necessary, and (3) Will we have repair problems with this German refrigerator? Consumer Reports seems to not be a huge fan. But, boy, is this a beautiful fridge, and it has most of the features I'm looking for. Love the dual freezer drawers.

The KitchenAid is absolutely perfectly thought-out on the inside: split shelf (so fully adjustable), lots of room for gallon containers on the door, and everything's at the heights I'm used to, since the compressor is on top. On the other hand, perhaps BECAUSE the compressor is on top, and that panel will just unmistakably look like a refrigerator panel.... it looks clunky, at least from what I can see online. It doesn't look beautifully built-in. And I just can't help but notice that the parts inside are plastic and look like the parts of ANY KitchenAid. It doesn't feel like a luxurious, integrated refrigerator worthy of the price tag.

The KitchenAid would cost $1,000 less, so that's a consideration... I'd just love some advice on this choice. Anybody out there have experience with either of these built-in refrigerators (or consider them for purchase recently)?

Comments (11)