SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flamingfish

Upper cabinet distance from window?

flamingfish
8 years ago

Is there a recommended minimum distance between an upper cabinet and a window? I have upper cabinets on the east wall of my kitchen. The only window is on the south wall. Right now, the front edge of the cabinet closest to the window is about 3" from the outside edge of the window trim. The cabinet is 12" deep.

I'm considering cabinets with inset doors, which will mean that the cabinet depth should be 13" or more. Is it going to look cramped (or otherwise bad) if the cabinet edge is closer to the window than 3"? I'm not worried about the cabinet door clearing the window; the fact that the door is inset should mean that the cabinet frame creates enough of an offset.

I'm thinking about enlarging the window by widening it toward the west side of the house, leaving the east wall cabinets where they are. (Storage is too limited in my tiny house to do without the upper cabinets). I'm considering whether, if I'm going to do that, I should move the east edge of the window over a few inches to avoid it looking crowded against the cabinets. Alternatively, if the cost of enlarging the window is too much, I'm wondering how bad a slightly deeper cabinet is going to look if it's 2" or closer to the window.

Thanks!

Comments (11)