SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheckylovejoy_gw

Vine or other cover for shady fence in Zone 10 (San Fernando Valley)

sheckylovejoy
8 years ago

Hi, this is a bit of a tricky one. I have had a lot of fruitless Google searches.

I have a 20 long fence behind an elm tree in my backyard which is on the north side of the house, so sun varies greatly throughout the year. It is part of a longer L-shaped fence, and the other side of the fence gets full sun most of the year. We planted star jasmine across the entire length 3 springs ago, While they are doing well on the sunny side of the L, the part next to the elm tree does poorly and I am thinking of replacing them this spring, but I can't find a likely candidate.

The range on the fence is from full shade to part sun, and there's more sun on all of it in the winter when the tree is bare.

Some bullets

• Must be Zone 10 ready. I have had too many Zone 9 plants die on me the last two summers.
  • No ivy or clematis or anything else similarly hard to control.
  • Preferably, something that can handle my crappy clay soil, but I intend to amend with compost a lot before planting.
  • I am open to non-vines, but it is a narrow bed at the edge of a patio, so there is not a lot of room for a wide shrub.

Thanks

Comments (8)