SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richfield95

How can I make this kitchen better?

richfield95
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

When we bought this house, I thought the kitchen was great. After a few years, I've decided the person who did the layout was clueless. The stove and refrigerator are literally 3' feet apart and despite having a ton of counterspace, there's very little practically placed prep space. And worst of all, there is no vent over the range. I'm also not a fan of walking in the front door and seeing straight into the kitchen. However, one of the things we love is that when you walk in the front door, you can see through the entire house and into the backyard.

The problem we have is that part of the kitchen is in an addition with cathedral ceilings (the living room area) and we have two load bearing walls. I've come up with several plans, but we're trying to keep the total renovation work to a minimum. The cabinets we have are Mennonite built, 3/4" plywood frames so we're going to reuse them even though they're not really our style (eventually get new doors and paint). So the challenge we've had is coming up with a functional layout, reusing the cabinets we have, while also trying to maximize the useable space in the living room. (I call it a living room, most would call it the family room.) Ideally, it'd be great if I didn't see into the kitchen from the front door, but I haven't found a simple way to do that yet.

In the planned layout, we wouldn't have a full wall on the counter with the sink, only 6" -12" above the height of the counter. Same for the counter facing the front door.

How is the cabinet layout that we developed? How can we improve?

I'm looking to keep the refrigerator away from the prep/cooking area so people going in and out don't get in my way. I'd also like a separate small prep area so when I ask someone to help, they're not using the same counterspace that I want to use. I'm not sure if I should swap the sink with one of the 30" bases on the dining room side so you don't see the sink from the front door. I feel like the layout that I came up with reuses most of the existing cabinets, but there is a big space in the middle that seems empty, but also not quite big enough for an island. It'd be great if I could come up with an overhang area somewhere, but it's not exactly ideal over the sink (in the living room) because of its impact to living room furniture layout.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Comments (4)