SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

How are you keeping your tools in good shape?

prairiemoon2 z6b MA
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'd like to improve on what we are doing to maintain our tools. I think I need some more products. Especially for sharpening our pruners and cleaning them up. There is a little rust on them, some discoloration on the blade. The edge of the blade doesn't appear nicked, so I don't know that I need a new one.

Do you use a wire brush? Any particular cleaning lubricant? or grease? I see that Felco sells lubricant, grease and an adjustment key to unlock the parts and a whetstone for sharpening and total cost for just three products is over $60! That can't be right.

We've been using a diamond blade to sharpen but I don't think it's doing a good job. Even right after I sharpen it, it's not as sharp as I think it should be. And it worked great when new, but now it's leaving a little remnant of bark on my cuts too often. Is that from not being sharp enough?

And how often do you change your blade?

I checked out the Felco site that has videos, and it gives an angle to hold the sharpener, a 23 degree angle? How do you determine you have that right? And a 5 degree angle for the back side of the blade…that's pretty small. How important is it to get the angle right?

Comments (5)