SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrjimboco

Differences between growth & flowering rates of Blood Orange trees.

8 years ago

I've several Moro, Sanguinelli, and Tarocco blood oranges here on my property in the Coachella Valley(9b zone) and have noticed different growth and flowering rates between the three varieties of blood oranges. All three types have gotten the same treatment with regards to watering rates, soil, fertilizer, etc. but I've been noticing that their growth rates are quite different now that Spring is here. The Sanguinelli's have put out the most flowers and a good amount of leaf growth. The Moro's have put out slightly more leaf growth and quite alot of flowers, but not as much as the Sanguinelli blood orange trees. The Tarocco's however seem to be slowest growing of all three types. I've only seen mild leaf and stem growth and no flower buds at all. From previous years, I've also noticed that the Tarocco's when they do set fruit, they do it in smaller numbers than the other two.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with Tarocco's in comparison to Moro's & Sanguinelli's? I'm hoping that because it is early spring, the Tarocco's are merely late bloomers. I very curious about the experience of others with these different types of blood oranges.

Comments (4)