Tai Chi

cacocobird

I'm 69, and have had a few falls. Someone suggested Tai Chi would be good to improve my balance. Anyone have experience with this?

SaveComment1Like
Comments (1)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

I live in a retirement community and began taking a tai chi class about 4 months ago. I'd heard that that it was good for balance and for bone building and wanted to give it a try. My class is called Tai Chi For Fall Prevention; it's the 12 form SUN style (which meant absolutely nothing to me when I began!).

I look forward to class each Tuesday morning. The balance aspect comes into play because weight is transferred from one foot to another and then one performs slow movements with the arms and body to re-center the body over the new weight bearing leg . Because it's weight bearing, tai chi is also good for the bones.

The link below is a demonstration of the form I enjoy. If you attend a beginner class, you won't do all the movements in the first class or even the 5th. The instructors usually take it slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF-xjUD9zWg

Save     Thanked by cacocobird
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Community How Your Landscaping Can Keep Burglars Away
Prevent home break-ins with strategic landscaping and good practices instead of menacing — and maybe less effective — measures
Full Story
Feel-Good Home 6 Ways to Beat the Winter Blahs
Snow and dark days dampening your spirits? These ideas will have you looking on the bright side
Full Story
Decorating Guides Paint Your Bookcases to Transform Your Room
Give your shelves some color for a whole new look. Here are 10 examples, from subtle to bold, and some styling tips to try
Full Story