SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

As Requested: Lynn's Low-Carb Healthful Recipes & Substitutions

LynnNM
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

As most of you already know, my DH is a family practice doc who specializes in preventative medicine for mainly patients 40 and over. "Preventative" meaning practicing medicine with the focus on preventing diseases and illnesses in the first place or catching them in their early stages by changing eating habits, and by mild-to-moderate daily exercise. Why that age? Because that's when most of us start looking at the scales and start seeing not-so-good medical test results come back on us. It's the time when we start to take our health more seriously.

OK, humor me for a moment as I'm going to brag on my husband. He has 4 degrees, two of which are post-grad. He was a pharmacist for 5 years before heading to medical school, so he really knows drugs, meds and what everything on any food label really means (how handy is that?!) . He's been a family practice doc with a thriving practice for over 25 years. He's brilliant and the doc other medical professionals and their families go to. He and many of his colleagues in this same preventative med profession believe and practice a certain way. I say this so that I don't end up with some negative debate. I have no desire to debate anything . . . and won't. If someone doesn't agree, that's your privilege. Just please keep this upbeat and nice.

Anyhoo, the basis of his thinking is that:

(1) Dieting is not good for you. Why? You can definitely lose weight on a diet, but how many of us are going to want to live the rest of your lives eating frozen diet food or other fad diet foods? Most won't, and then you eventually gain back all the pounds you lost. It's demoralizing. He thinks it's best, instead, to change your eating lifestyle. By eliminating the foods that cause Type-2 diabetes. That cause clogged arteries. That cause us to gain weight that puts us at risk for so many diseases, not to mention back and ambulatory problems. BTW, he does think Weight Watchers is a great organization, though. That's what my recipes are all about. Eliminating the foods that are either hurting us or are not helping us and substituting them with foods that help.

2) Staying in shape is also very important. But not at gyms that push "going for the burn". Staying in shape through walking, an elliptical, swimming, yoga, Tai Chi, etc. Exercise that strengthens you, strengthens your core, and keeps your joints limber so that you can stay fit and stay healthy longer.

So, my recipes and healthful substitutions are low-carb, but NOT high fat, like the Adkins Diet. DH believes that a lot of that fat will end up clogging your arteries. He sites many different medical studies, including those from the Cleveland Heart Lab, but I'm not going to start listing them all here. Basically, he promotes eliminating empty-carbs (as much as you can) from your diet: white flours, whole wheat flour, pastas made with either, white and brown rice, corn, potatoes, sugar. Don't forget, I said as much as you possibly can, not never ever. And replacing them with healthful things like oats, farro, quinoa, etc. Eating at least 2 servings of veggies, like broccoli, cauliflower, fresh spinach, kale, arugula, chard, cabbage, tomatoes, etc. at every meal. Substituting beans for potatoes and quinoa for rice. Etc.

So, now you know the whys for of my recipes. I'm going to copy and paste some of the healthful substitutions in my next post here and then some recipes in the next. So, give me a few minutes to get them up.

Comments (60)