SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lillivewire87

Need Suggestions/Advice...1st time trying indoor germniation

lillivewire87
8 years ago

Hi all! This is my first year trying to start seeds indoors and I am looking for some suggestions. Seeds will be tomatoes and maybe some Snap Dragon flowers. I have a couple of options, but I am hoping I can make the first one work as it would be a space saver and out of my way...

I live in a tiny basement apartment...it is a studio, and we share a basement laundry room with our landlords. Anyway, we have a basement egress window in the laundry room area that is actually covered with a clear glass dome. Similar to the one pictured below. My landlord has said I can use it.

I have a self watering seedling tray and I am wondering if now that we are past frost danger if I could simply place my germination tray in the egress window?

I do have a heat mat if that would be necessary? There is an electrical socket right underneath the window. I could also line the bottom with Mylar emergency blanket material as well.

My other option is to use a grow light and the heat mat and try and find somewhere in my tiny apartment to tuck it until they germinate and then move them to the egress window during the day???

Later when the plants are bigger I have a small porch they can hang out on until I am ready to plant.

I do have growing experience...I have just always either bought seedlings...or when I was still living with my parents eons ago, we sowed directly into the garden. I only have room for about 5-6 tomato plants so this isn't a big operation by any means. I was gifted and have bought/collected a variety of different tomato seeds that I would really like to try...so hence the trying to grow from seeds!

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated!

Comment (1)