Spin off from the Crowded restaurant thread...
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (33)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
What NOT to wear (spin-off of Annie's thread)
Comments (122)Martinca, as my screenname implies, I have four kids. My belly has not seen the light of day in years. I too am not overweight but do have a tummy bulge sag as a result. I don't wear low rise anything but I do wear mid-rise pants, etc. it's a bit of a quandary b/c I need to make sure my tummy is covered while at the same time, make sure my butt isnt overextended like it would be in mom jeans that are high waisted. This skirt is not low waisted. I just put this skirt on to be sure (and golddust, I was wrong - I don't have the charcoal color but rather the gray one and a tan one) and it sits much higher in me than in the photo, about an inch below my belly button. For my own body type, I've found that pants,etc that hit me sort of in the middle of my tummy actually look best. Anything that goes higher then creates kind of a bubble effect where my belly is by cinching where I'm smaller - so rather than suck me it, it makes it jut out, if that makes sense. This is especially true in skirts that zip and button on the front. They don't hold me in if the button is higher and above my belly fat. Hard to explain but it just works for me but I'm for sure not exposing myself like in the photos above! And I have the hardest time with bathing suits! I love tankinis in theory but it is so hard to find styles where the top actually comes over the top of the bottoms rather than meeting at the top. One move and my belly is showing! I love the designs of the Athleta suits but unfortunately nearly all their suits have the "meet and greet" rather than full coverage. And now bathing suit is nearing...ugh!...See MoreSpin-off of the teen girl/weight/eating thread . . .
Comments (32)It sounds to me that your husband's comment was less about YOU and more about how to get the most out of your exercising. I say that because he suggested P90x, which is the dvd set that is often thought to be the "gold" standard that gets excellent results (or in your husband's words, whistle inducing results). You responded that you were too old for the whistles, and your husband basically said that age doesn't matter if the body is "perfect." Maybe it was his use of perfect that offended, but I would take his comments more just to mean that if you are serious about exercising, why waste your time on the lesser exercise systems--and instead just go for the gold....See Morea spin off a good idea thread...
Comments (10)I don't use my vehicle to store stuff. I do have some basic tools and jumper cables. A couple of spare bulbs in the glove box along with registration and insurance. Sunglasses in the eyeglass holder. Map in the map holder behind the visor. In the console between the seats I have a small note pad and pen along with a small coupon holder I go through once a month. In there are a mini flashlight and a tiny tape measure. In the back door pocket I have a semi-disposable picnic blanket and a couple of plastic trash bags. On the other side a small umbrella rides in rainy weather. I have a "go bag" by the front door. It is a small, lightweight 15" x 8" duffle with personal care items and emergency stuff and sometimes a change of clothing. It is always packed according to my needs and the season. I never understood people who keep things like food and medications in their cars at all times. The high heat could really mess with those things. If I need those things I pack them along with water and a soda before I leave. Nobody ever has to move stuff aside to ride with me. I hate that when I ride with others....See MoreI miss books! (spin-off of Marie's thread)
Comments (12)Until my arthritic wrists and fingers cannot hold a book at all, the web will not be a substitute. I suspect, no I am sure, that the people here on GW who are encyclopedic in their knowledge learn, learned, and re-learned from books (as well as experience and the web) Is it a generational thing, this difference between learning from reading a book and learning from the web? There's a lot to gry_'s comment about finding something again on the web (though one can become more skilled at bookmarking) and findiing it in a familiar book. The book can carry physical evidence of experience: the soiled pages of a frequently turned to topic (like my brownies, roast turkey and bread recipes in my first cook book; you could boil the book and get the nutritional equivalent of a meal) The penned notations in the margin (really, did my handwriting look like that 20 years ago) I really don't think I'd remember Dirr's comment about the edibility of the Kousa dogwood fruit "I'd rather have a Snickers" if I hadn't read it dozens of times over the years. Dirr's books are bedside reading all winter. Alas, the encyclopedias were actually too heavy for me to hold comfortably.. I think I'll need an adaptive pillow or tray to get through this winter. I love the internet; I spend a lot of time on it. But I suspect way deep down that I believe the learning from access to so much information is somehow inferior to learning from books. I think that's wrong and the wrongness will be proved repeatedly from research. But I'm talkiing about a prejudice born of hours of learning since childhood how to parse info in books, assimilate it and reorganize it for one's own use.....or come up with an original idea of one's own! What a great question!...See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDES15 Home Ideas Fit for a Crowd
Spend less time corralling chaos and more time enjoying family togetherness with this advice from someone who's been there
Full Story
COASTAL STYLESpin That Ship Wheel in a Different Style Direction
If overdone nautical kitsch has left you soaked, try these subtler and sophisticated looks for your captain's wheel
Full Story
EXTERIORSHistory Gets a New Spin on a Victorian Facade
Modernization had stripped this home’s exterior of its charm. Now the owners have put it back — in their own personal take
Full Story
VINTAGE STYLEGive the Vintage Globe Trend a New Spin
Chart new design territory with the familiar globe trend by seeking unusual sizes, color palettes and display places
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES18 Clever DIY Ideas from 6 Home Décor Bloggers
Put your own spin on inventive decorating ideas like tin-can planters, knitted cozies, extra shelving, creative curtains and more
Full Story
TRADITIONAL HOMESHouzz Tour: Lessons in Florida Cracker Style From a Vacation Home
This casual vintage home style is making a comeback. See the defining features up close in this relaxed house built for a crowd
Full Story
FUN HOUZZEverything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME12 Very Useful Things I've Learned From Designers
These simple ideas can make life at home more efficient and enjoyable
Full Story
GREEN BUILDINGOff the Grid: Ready to Pull the Plug on City Power?
What to consider if you want to stop relying on public utilities — or just have a more energy-efficient home
Full Story
lindaohnowga