SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwyndill

Existing oak trim with new stained kitchen cabs?

gwyndill
8 years ago

So, I am a long-time lurker... but I have looked & looked on GW to find someone in a similar situation as mine when doing our kitchen remodel and I guess I'm a little odd. We are doing a full gut (except major appliances & only refinishing the floors). I like the oak trim in my house and my husband and I are not a fan of white cabinets, we prefer stained wood. We also don't like rustic or country... we are more in line with the "transitional" style when it comes to design. So... what to do? When we did our bathroom, we ended up painting the trim on all but the window white & it looks nice, but with a kitchen that is open to the rest of the house... I think painting just the kitchen trim white, isn't possible. So - I think we need to contrast the warm oak with the cabinets, right? We are doing alder (not knotty) and so are looking at maybe a medium stain (a few shades darker than it is now)? We don't have a huge kitchen - so I'm a little scared to go dark. Does anyone have oak trim in their kitchen and differently stained cabinets? We are also removing the table & replacing with an island (4'x5') that will seat 4... so don't factor table into design (it's a hand me down - not our style). Thank you for your help!

Comments (24)