SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ainelane

Matching oak built-ins to kitchen cabs?

ainelane
10 years ago

Hello!
I'm a first-time poster, but long-time lurker :)

I hoping for some design advice on what to do with the oak built-ins and mantle in my great room as I start my kitchen reno.

The kitchen section is being ripped out and replaced with white painted maple cabs, most likely with a raised panel door style. The countertops will be white quartz and backsplash will be white beveled subway tile. Floors are staying, they are Brazilian Cherry. Ceiling above great room is cedar and vaulted.

My dilemma - do I make everything in the room white, including the built-ins and mantle, by having them painted? Or should I stain them a darker color, maybe something like a very dark chocolate that picks up on the warmth of the red in the floor? And if I stain the built-ins, what should I do with the island and pantry?

I'm concerned on one hand that having everything white will be too much white; boring or not enough visual interest. On the other hand, would it be weird to have such a bright white kitchen and then the other side of the room is dark oak? And with the ceiling, floors and kitchen table all being different types of wood, would staining the oak yet another shade be just too much?

I really need help pulling all the different parts of this room together! Thank you kindly for any help you can offer!
-Aine

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022