SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jungledoc

Need help with roses in the Papua New Guinea highlands

Andy Bennett
8 years ago

I posted these questions in an existing thread about growing roses in a tropical climate, but it didn't get much attention. Besides my situation is a bit different than that thread.

I live in Papua New Guinea, just north of Australia, and from about 3-6 degrees south of the equator. I live in the highlands, so our climate is more moderate than what you tend to think of when you hear "tropical". Our temperatures range from the low teens to the high twenties Celsius. We have a "dry" (usually only relatively so, but this year it was extremely dry) season in what would be Spring and Summer in the US, and a "Rainy" season the rest of the year.

I live on a mission station (like a campus) where I work at a hospital, where foreigners (mostly Americans, but some Brits, Aussies, Kiwis have lived along side Papua New Guineans for over 50 years.

There are rose bushes all around the station. I have no idea of their provenance, whether imported or obtained in country. I don't know names of any varieties. Most are large sprawling plants, mostly pink, but couple shades of red, some white.

I have two interests. One, I've been taking cuttings from different plants on the station and nearby villages. There is lots of advice on line about how to start roses from cuttings, and so far many of my cuttings are still alive and even thriving.

My second interest, and the basis for my questions to all of you is that I feel someone should be caring for the rose bushes around the station. They mostly have long branches, with a few looking old, thick and woody. Many of the stems are long and spindly and tangled. They seem to have been cut back randomly at times, and many of the stems branch in wild directions. On most of them I see a few blossoms. On a few I see profuse crops of flowers.

So, what can I do to keep these bushes healthy, to help them to produce more flowers? How should I prune them? How should I fertilize them? We don't have access to commercial fertilizers except small quantities of very expensive product. I plan to cut back or pull out the other plants that are crowding many of them.

This one I walk past going and coming from work twice every day. I love the small fragrant blossoms, but I wish there were more. You can see that it's tangled with other growth, which I will, of course, cut out:

Here's another that produces flowers pretty well. I know that it has been where it is no more than 7 years:

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy

Comments (25)