SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wishful_gw

new chicken mummy needs help

wishful
18 years ago

help please!

My son's year 1 class had eggs hatch this last week, and somehow the kids have bamboozled me into bringing 4 of the chicks home. We have been given no instruction other than keep a light over them for the next couple of weeks (they are 7-10 days old now).

I've ordered Jackie French Chook Book from the book store, I've been to the library and picked up the 2 books they had about poultry sitting on the shelf, and I've been tot he produse store and got chick crumb/mash. The chicks are in a cardboard box with torn newspaper on the bottom, water and crumb/food stuff. Ex-hubby is lined up to make a chicken tractor from the plans in a recent Gardening Australia magazine this weekend.

The books don't have a lot of info about week old chicks. How long to they need to stay inside in cardboard box with light? When can they start having 'other' food? When can they start having table scraps (meat etc? I'm assuming that's harder for them to digest?) Can they eat left over vegemite/jam/peanut butter sandwiches from the kids lunch boxes (we have multigrain bread)? Is there anything they can't eat? Are things like tomato and rhubarb leaves poisonous to them? Are there any weeds etc I might have in my typical Brisbane backyard that would kill them?

I'm hoping to eventually let them free range in the back yard, and just lock them up at night - but I need to know what's dangerous for them first.

That is assuming they are not all roosters!!

so - any advice (from first hand experience, rather than what I'll get reading books) gratefully accepted!

Comments (37)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting